Wintery conditions at TCU

Apr 06 2020

Al Burns

Fry

Number of Posts :

Went to try out the new TCU Lake on April 3rd. We arrived at 7:00am to see the storm front minutes away. The original weather report had the storm hitting around 10:00am. By the time we had rigged up the temperature had dropped to the mid 40's and the wind was blowing from the North 20-25mph. The rain came hard and it was clear that we were going to be fishing in some miserable conditions. My grand daughters took some time to have their picture taken with Dub and after a fun conversation the temperature had dropped to 40 degrees. Pouring rain and much more wind than had been forecast. They decided to fish the shoreline and worked their drop shot rigs between the dock and the North shoreline where the buffalo are located. Despite the weather they managed to catch 5 really nice bass in the first hour. All were over 3.5 pounds.

My son Joe and I got out on the lake but quickly retired to the shoreline as well. Upon arrival I realized I had packed a rainsuit for everyone but myself. Within 5 minutes I was soaked to the bone. I must admit the fishing was good enough the first hour that it was hard to notice how cold it was. By 10:30 we had caught 17 bass all between 3.5 and 4 pounds. The fishing slowed down and we caught more as the day wore on but it was a bass every 20 minutes or so. It turned out to be a great day considering the weather. This is truly the kind of day you expect to get skunked. Truth is we had a blast!

The fish weren't caught near the bank. They seemed to be all caught at least 20 feet from the bank. We were fishing Z Man baits…Hula Sticks, Finesse TRDs, and Mag Fattys. All were either in Junebug or Green Pumpkin Orange color. We couldn't help but notice this lake is a crawfish haven. By the day was over we only culled 3 bass and kind of lost count after the first 20 we had caught and returned to the lake. These bass were as healthy as they come. 

The owner is a one in a million type of guy. He was a great guy to meet and even went up to bring his wife down to meet us. He's got a really special place. The fish still bite when the temperature drops 25 degrees in 20 minutes and the wind goes from nothing to 25 to 30 mph out of the North. I will say if the fish didn't bite it would still be a great day shooting the breeze with Dub.