What a day in San Saba!! Great Covid therapy!!

Apr 14 2020

Jamie Kechely

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 23710
Property Name : Waco Creek Ranch
Reservation Date : 04/13/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 68/up to 7lb
Lures Used : Senko

First off what a beautiful property this is.  Might be my new favorite in PWF.  The drive out and the property are so peaceful.

Bass Forecast didn't predict much luck on this journey.  With morning lows in the upper 30s (yikes for mid April) and right after a strong front, partner Jerry Gaither and I were not sure what to expect. 

Turned out to be my best day on PWF waters (Jerry is a club old timer, so he has some pretty amazing days, but he said this one ranks right up there).  The quantity of high quality fish was truly incredible. 

We hit the water at 10 am and took a shore lunch at 12:30.  Told Jerry I had high expectations for this trip and it was certainly meeting them.  Didn't have any idea what was in store.  At that point we were sitting on 20 fish.  Little quieter afternoon but at 6 PM it was on until dark.  Caught almost 30 to close the day.  

We caught a total of 68 fish.  ONLY 8 culls!!  Jerry stuck both a 7lb bass and a 6 lb bass.  I stuck multiple fives.  At one point I caught fives on consecutive casts, and repeated that again about 10 casts later.  21+ pounds of fish in about 15 casts...Wow!!  in one 30 minute span we are pretty sure we caught over 40lbs of fish.  We lost track of how man 4-5lb fish we boated.

Now the important stuff.  All boated fish were caught on Senkos.  Jerry likes his Texas Rigged and I prefer 'em Wacky.  Didn't seem to matter.  All the fish were caught right on the bank, with the exception of one a 4lb fish I caught from the back of the boat sitting in the boat waiting on Jerry to launch us.  Jerry outfished me like he always does but don't think thats a presentation thing.  Not a single bite on anything else we tried.  Obviously didn't try much else with what was working.  

Can't wait to return to this lake again.  Much need trip out of the house for sure.