Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 23833
Property Name : Masagana Farms
Reservation Date : 04/20/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 51/ 10" - 18.5"
Lures Used : senkos, silver Rattle Trap, Super flukes, pop R

Fished with a buddy from 7AM to about 3PM (see my separate post on how we go buddy fishing while keeping "social distancing.')

Super foggy at dawn - couldn't see across the 10 acre lake. 

Fortunately the bass could see just fine - caught two in the fog at "dawn" on Pop Rs.

Circled the lake twice and caught about 30 before breaking for lunch. Rested a bit then went back out for a few hours more. Altogether we caught over 50 - mostly 2-3 pounds each. Smallest was only 9-10" with two a bit over 4 pounds.

All of the bass were very healthy with vibrant colors and no spots or marks of any kind. Many fought well often making us think we had a 6+ pounder.  

Water temp was around 62° all day and cloudy until afternoon. Surprised not much topwater bite. Best lure was Senko in several colors. Next best was a silver rattletrap. Vegetation made navigating a bit challenging but we managed - luckily winds were light.

We met Chuck Dixon - not sure if he's the owner or a manager. We listened intently to his story of chasing and finally catching a 12 pounder "near the big tree on the east shore" one evening on a topwater. "He'd always get off by diving into the moss then busting up and shaking the lure loose. But I finally tricked him. Next time when he came up I jerked back on he rod so he couldn't shake the lure. I put him in the cage at the dock to eat him later then decided since we were on speaking terms now I'd let him go." LOL He is quite the character. Hope to see him there again sometime. 

So we harvested 10 and released about 39 that were over 14". Looking forward to fishing there again.