Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24019
Property Name : Bridle Oaks Ranch
Reservation Date : 04/21/2020 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 26/ 13 - 20"
Lures Used : see report

I arrived at this beautiful ranch just before noon for a fine afternoon of fishing from the bank. The tank was full, the water was very clear and I saw lots of empty beds. The best fishing was had in the lower half of the lake.

I started by walking the west bank and had success with both a bone whopper plopper fished just outboard of the shallow submerged grass, and weightless flukes (on light tackle) just inboard of the grass where I could find holes in the filamentous green algae accumulating near the shore edge. As the sun began to shift, I moved to the dam and caught some beauties (3 up to 20”) just outside of the weed line on a grn pumpkin chatterbait with a zoom craw trailer. I finished the afternoon on the east bank and had success throwing the same setups with the same approach as on the west bank.

During the last hour of what had been a very fine day, I threw a small frog on and around a large island of aquatic weeds breaking the surface, just offshore to the north of the dock. I had about a dozen blowups and landed four of the larger bass before heading home.

Most of the bass caught during the afternoon session were in the 16 – 17” range and the 8 culled bass were all in the 13 – 14” range. All were healthy! Tried several other lures including wacky sticks but the bass weren't buying! 

Can't wait to give this place a shot with my kayak this fall!

Bob

P.S. I had a nice chat with the son of the ranch owner and I extended my thanks for allowing our club to fish this property!