Poor fishing, questionable water

Apr 27 2020

Philip Davison

Fry

Number of Posts :

My son and I fished this place all day Saturday, April 25th from sunrise to around 5 PM.  Clear sky in the morning and cloudy with some sprinkles in the afternoon.  This was our second time to fish this place, the first being in December, 2018 when we caught around 12 and lost a few.  We fished the entire water using everything in our tackle boxes (crank baits, spinner baits, top waters, t-rig, w-rig, different colors, different depths; etc.) and never got one hit.  We also only observed two fish movements the entire day and their coloring, the little I could see, reminded me of carp although I don't know for sure.  The water visibility was zero (0).  I have never seen water this color before.  The water looked like coffee with creamer added to it.  This place was very different from a water and fish perspective from when we first fished it.  I had heard that the owners were doing some work last summer on the dam, but I have not heard anything else.  I don't believe we will be going back, at least not until the situation is remedied.  Does anyone have any idea as to what might have caused the water to be this color and what impact this may have had on the fish?  Did this body of water experience some sort of extensive fish kill and if so from what?

May 07 2020

Thomas Blailock

Fry

Number of Posts :

Phillip - I am going to fish this lake this Sunday 5/10/20. Spoke to Cole at PWF and he told me that it might still be in the same shape but I just need to get out on some water, any water. Will post a report on what I find first of next week. I fly fish so that should be real interesting, or real long day.

May 08 2020

Philip Davison

Fry

Number of Posts :

Good luck fishing it this Sunday Thomas.  I'm very interested to hear what you find.  Hopefully, the lake will be back to what it was.

May 08 2020

Thomas Blailock

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks - BTW, those were large carp you saw - have seen them before also.

May 10 2020

Thomas Blailock

Fry

Number of Posts :

Phillip - just got back from San Jacinto - water quality was poor - a chalky white with visibility less than a foot. Needless to say in the 2.5 hours I spent there, it was all casting and no fish. If they cannot see, they cannot eat. The landowner is still working on the dam (white soil which is apparently running off into the lake). I saw recent work on the dam. I will not be going back until the work is finished and the earth on the dam is stabilized.  On the bright side, I saw 4 beautiful does drinking from the lake.                                                                                                                                                                                                

May 11 2020

Philip Davison

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the report Thomas.  I hope the lake gets back to where it was.  Best regards.