Zach Milwood

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24117
Property Name : JerMar Lake
Reservation Date : 04/28/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 26
Lures Used : senkos, frogs

Now I know what you're thinking:  First this guy fishes at Cody Ranch where the average temperature over the 3 day weekend was 41, and now he's fishing at JerMar where the winds were 20-25mph nonstop!  Oh, and there were severe thunderstorms immediately south and east of us upon arrival- quite the electric display!  So obviously I love crappy weather to fish in.  Well, unfortunately that's just the way it goes sometimes. 

So my friend and I arrive at 6am and fish a bit from the bank using topwater lures: myself a Ribbit frog and my compadre a whopper plopper.  He catches one ON THE FIRST CAST!  I guess no one explained fishing etiquette to him that if you're a guest, you're not allowed to catch a fish on the first cast - it's rude.  Oh well.  I followed his fish with one of my own; both of ours were just under 2lbs.  Good start to the day.  We decide to put in where our reservation suggested, along the west side close to the little pond.  That might have been a mistake.  Still a bit too muddy, but we couldn't see it well enough to make that judgment.  Once we got out into the lake proper, we discovered approximately 10 metric tons of grass and moss.  My trolling motor ate about 8 of the 10.  However, it did make for some good topwater fishing for the morning session.  But everything we threw had to be weedless.  There was the dam area and a skinny 'landing strip' in the middle of the lake, and those were the only grass-free areas.  Did I mention the wind?  It honestly wasn't bad at the beginning of the day, but definitely picked up as the day progressed.  And if you've never been to JerMar, you need to know that it is a long skinny lake, and is oriented exactly north-south.  So that 20+mph wind blowing in from the south made for an interesting day of fishing.  Between the wind and the grass, we had our challenges.

All in all we both had a great time.  Biggest fish landed was only 2.57, and most were in that 1.5-2lb range.  We harvested 8 and returned 18.  Oh, one last thing.  My friend caught a sunfish on a crankbait.  Let me repeat that: my friend...caught a sunfish...on a crankbait!  :-)

Once the topwater bite abated, we switched to Senkos, and that did the trick.  Didn't catch but one on my go-to Owner Flashy Spinner swimbait rig, and that's just craziness right there. 

Nice to be out of the house and get on the water to enjoy the great sport of bass fishing!  Looking forward to my next trip...

Faithfully submitted,

Douglas Niedermeyer

Just kidding,

Zach