Rudi Reetz

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24295
Property Name : Live Oak Creek
Reservation Date : 05/08/2020 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 25/ 1.5 to 5lbs
Lures Used : Creature baits, frogs

Windy from North over 20mph. Cloudy most of day with some sun coming though late afternoon. Water very clear. Could easy see bass cruising the shallow end of creek channel. Hydrilla and Weed growth seems to be building up, but by no means was it a problem to fish. (Maybe one or two fish came back to the boat with a healthy hydrilla salad that you could not tell the size of the fish.) Fished from 1pm to a little after 6pm with my son and his cousin. My 14 year old son fished from a kayak for the first time and he enjoyed it very much. This lake has a creek channel arm that is fairly well protected from that North wind, as well as the dam also on north side helped. But the wind was strong so definitely had to work to hold position with trolling motor when out in unprotected areas. We were rigged up and ready to go when I told the boys "Let's make a couple casts from the bank before we get out on water." First cast for one of boys was a 2.2 lb bass, and my first cast was a fish just under 20" (5 lbs) so we were excited and the fishing activity was fairly good throughout the 4+ hours we fished out on the lake--maybe the last 45 minutes slowed down when the sun was out more steady.. Total count was 25 bass. 5 caught from bank near the club jon boat and down the bank to the right. Several frog fish were landed and many blow-ups, mostly in creek arm. Fish were caught in all areas of the lake; most were within a few feet of the shore line weeds, but some in middle of lake, most coming out of the big hydrilla growths. More fish were caught in the creek channel arm on the south bank, but this is also where we spent more time fishing because of the wind conditions. All the bass were healthy and scrappy fighters. Only 1 real small dink, the rest were in the 1.5 to 3+ lb range with probably 3 in the 4 to 5lb range. Best probably was my first from the bank on a fat tube in watermelon green/red flake weightless. We had enough action through the day that we primarily threw creature style soft plastics weightless or small Texas rigged. Baits that were shorter with lots of appendages seemed to work better then straight senko type baits. I was grateful for the good fishing because when we drove over Lake Waco on way to the property there were HUGE white caps that looked terrible. Great lake and nice ranch. First trip there but would definitely go back.