Greg Zimmerman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24319
Property Name : Bluebonnet Ridge
Reservation Date : 05/10/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 11 LMB
Lures Used : Frog

I fished Bluebonnet Ridge from 7:00am to noon on 5/10/20.  Upon arrival, I stopped by the earth berms in front of the workshed and fished from shore for about 30 minutes, catching 3 LMB in quick succession, all at about 2-3 lbs on a frog.  There was very little wind in the morning and the lake was dead calm with a nice fog covering it and several Canadian geese at home.  When the fog lifted, I could see the filamentous algae mats but most of the lake looked navigable, so I moved to the boat launch area.  At the boat launch, there are numerous bluegills on beds.  I brought a 2x2x8 as a push pole, but with no wind, I was able to use an oar to paddle past the algae mats at the boat launch to the deeper water and then I was able to use the trolling motor.  I did not have any luck anywhere else in the lake, and the algae is pretty much everywhere beneath the surface, so I decided to try to reach the area where I caught the initial three bass from shore.  This particular area is directly in front of the workshed, in between the two earthen berms with the island in the middle, but the open water near the shore is also blocked from the rest of the lake by a large algae mat.  I tried to push the boat through it but was unsuccessful.  I did, however, notice that at least part of the cause of the algae mats was the geese droppings that cover these mats.  I took the boat back to the launch and returned to fish the shore from the earth berms.  I caught another 8 LMB, all at 2-3 lbs and all on a frog, but I probably saw another 10 LMB that appeared to fry guarding males and were uncooperative.  I also saw two large gar at 36+ inches, a few carp and a huge number of bluegill of all sizes.