Phenomenal Half Day

May 25 2020

Ben Steed

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24583
Property Name : Bluebonnet Ridge
Reservation Date : 05/24/2020 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 17: 2>5 lbs, 3 (2-3lbs), 12 (3-4 lbs)
Lures Used : Whopper Plopper and Frog

Got out to Bluebonnet Lake around 7 am.  Beautiful ranch, easy drive with good ranch road around to the lake.  Took a look at Mesquite lake, which is an option when you book Bluebonnet, and continued on to the big lake/Bluebonnet. 

There’s a really awesome review coming shortly, but all anglers should be aware the vegetation in Bluebonnet lake is significant.  Not that it’s a surprise (well noted in the reviews/details), but you should be prepared to fish this lake with some patience and creativity.  Definitely no bank fishing, but there are several acres of open water outside of the vegetation.  We knew that coming in and came prepared which really paid off.  

Boat situation: we brought our own 15' aluminum Jon boat and was super easy to launch at the boat ramp.  You will need something other than a trolling motor to get thru the grass mats near the ramp.  That took a little effort but was not a big deal at all, just wanted y'all to know that.  

Started on top and never got off of it.  We had a 4 hour top water session, which I can’t remember a time that top water lasted that long for me.  Started with whopper plopper (my buddy had just said “fish don’t bite those”) and bam a 4 lb right in front of his face.  Followed by 2 more immediately between 3-4 lbs and away we went.  Fast forward 30 mins and my buddy is still fishing the frog in the veg, I’m now at 6 fish he’s at 2. I slam a 5.4 lbs, my buddy reluctantly makes the switch and we start pulling them in.  He now believes in the plopper...

Every time we thought top was turning off and one of us tried something else, the other would catch another on whopper plopper.  All in all we caught 17 LMB, 15 on whopper plopper and 2 on frog.  Frog catches were on 40lb braid (very necessary to get them out of the grass mat and algae) along the edges or in the veg.  Plopper catches were mostly throwing at or along side the veg (finding open lanes for the plopper was not hard) with a cadence of letting it land and sit for 10 seconds, reel it twice and sit again, on and on.  Caught one while it was just sitting in the water and messing with the motor.  

In summary, it was an awesome morning!  Caught 17 total, 3-4 were between 2-3 lbs, 2 just over 5 lbs, and the balance were all between 3-5 lbs.  We did not have time to hit Mesquite lake but definitely will next time.  Tear drop lakes and Mesquite both look very easy to bank fish, which are all on this same ranch.  We "only" caught 17, but honestly we didn't try that hard to up our numbers.  We each missed a handful and took a few breaks.  I'm sure we could've landed at least 5-10 more if we really wanted to.