If You Like It On Top Head for the Timber

Jun 05 2020

Kevin Fuller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Fished Timber Lake with my son Cody this morning - what a phenomenal morning…  We caught 55 bass between about 5:45 am and 10 am.  49 of those bass came off of topwater bites.  Cody was fishing conventional with a frog and I was on the fly rod with deer hair poppers and a hard body frog fly.  Cody had 22 with 5 culls and the old man had 23 with 12 culls.  All of my bass on the fly rod came off the top water bite - it was a total blast.  Cody caught all but 6 of his bass off the top with the remainder hitting a lipless crankbait in the deeper grass close to the dam.  We caught most of the bass right off of the weed line or between the weed line and the trees in the creek branch to the right of the launch site.  It was just a great morning and made getting up at 3:15 am to get there early so worth it.  

Had a big laugh watching Cody jump out of his kayak to chase his rod that a bass pulled out of hand as he was setting the hook.  Cody was raking a frog over a weed mat and a bass just exploded on his bait and took the rod right outta his hand and starting swimming off with the whole rig.  Cody both retrieved the rod and landed the bass all without tipping his kayak - heck of an effort and hilarious to watch all the commotion.   

On the way home we stopped at the Dobbins Rods warehouse in Sulphur Springs and switched out a couple of broken rods under their warranty program - Cody also picked up some really nice refurbished rods for less than half price.  From there we went to Slaughter BBQ in Sulphur Springs and had the best rack of ribs, tater salad and beans that I've had in a really long time.  Just a super day on a great Private Waters lake - this lake is really beautiful and fun to fish but the trees are gonna take a few of your flies if you fly fish there : )