Craig Awtrey

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24775
Property Name : Malouf Lake
Reservation Date : 06/07/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 53
Lures Used : swimjig, frog, craw

I fished Sunday 6/7 from 6am-1:30pm with a partner. Glassy water to begin with, air was muggy, not too hot. We picked up some topwater bites south of the boat launch where the pond narrows and had 6-7 good fish come from top. I was being lazy and throwing a Zman Hard Leg Frogz on a spinning rod. I missed my first as I didn't notice it immediately was swirled under and was too slow on the spinning reel to pick up the slack that was created already. Probably was a 2lber, and not that 6+ I've been looking for at Malouf.

The grass has grown significantly since my trip here a few weeks ago, and I did not venture too far south into the pond looking for more topwater action. I did drift across and pick up a few topwater bites in the middle near clumps of surface vegetation. Another week or two and there should be some nice matted vegetation to topwater fish in the shallower areas of Malouf.

Eventually came into the swimjig zone and started catching fish. Changed colors a few times to see if there was any noticeable difference, they ate it all.

Hit up the dam to see who was hanging out over there, grabbed a few on top and some on a craw. 

Circled back around and picked up more on the swimjig, and my guest continued to catch them on a belly weighted craw.

Malouf producd 53 fish for us, the largest 3.3lbs, with a few others over 3lbs, and the majority of them in the 2lb+ category.  Most of the fish looked healthy, but some of the larger ones were long and lean, and there were a few with concave bellies and big heads. All fought extremely well and wore me out.

Catch times

6am-7am: 10 fish
7am-8am: 11 fish
8am-9am: 6 fish
9am-10am: 3 fish
10am-11am: 9 fish
11am-12pm: 7 fish
12pm-1pm: 4 fish
1pm-1:30pm: 3 fish