Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24831
Property Name : Lakota Lake
Reservation Date : 06/19/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 54 LMB from 2 to 5 Pounds
Lures Used : See Photo of Effective Lures

We arrived at Lakota before sunrise and quickly launched the boat. Our first time a couple of weeks ago fishing this lake produced an awesome top water bite. With a near new moon we should be getting lots of top water bites. Wrong, we quickly learned this lake has a mind of its own and we got zero top water strikes. Trust me we wasted lots of time trying to change the fishy's mind. Visibility was about a foot and the surface water temp started out at 82 and was around 90 at the hottest part of the day. That may be why the top water baits were ineffective. The fish were deeper as it got hotter.

Soft plastic ended up producing our numbers. 54 bass all total from 2 to 5 pound average (see fish photos that will give you an idea of the common size we found). These fish are very healthy and at times can be sited chasing the bait fish. When you see them tell off on themselves you need to throw baits at them. Our biggest fish was caught that way. We fished hard with no breaks from 6:15 AM to 7:30 PM so we put in the time for sure. We absolutely love this lake and it being less than a 60 mile drive adds to the value for us Houston areas boys. I added a photo of our tracking movement image where you can see how many times we circled the lake. We are not good at sitting still as you can see from the GPS tracking. We envy those that can sit in one spot and produce the numbers without having to move. It just has never worked for us. 

We had a hog venture down to the lake while fishing. Very cool............saw one hog getting to the lake from the gate on the way in and saw about 20 hogs between the lake and the gate when leaving. There are a couple of resident Bald Eagles as well.

We got to meet the property owners (Robert and Elizabeth) and had some lake history conversation. They were very nice and informative about the lake. Thank you for adding your lake property to PWF and a big thanks to Steve, Keri and Cole for seeing Lakota as an awesome new club addition.

I am adding a photo of the gate lock which can be confusing. If someone opens and enters the gate leaving you to lock it back you will need to know how this thing works. I have not seen any gate lock configurations set up like this one. It is important when you are locking the gate that you do it properly so both combination locks are accessible. 

We predict this lake over the next two (2) to three (3) years will be next San Saba lake (which is one of our favorites to fish) with all of the lake management currently in place. Robert has had thousands of small bass removed and lots of bait fish added. Robert has a real passion for developing the lake into a premier location with abundant trophy bass to be caught and released. He has done his due diligence for sure. And we all know Steve and Cole have a proven track record on how to take an average lake and turn it into a desired trophy lake. All I can say is read every post you can about Lakota lake. The reports are going to get better and better as these 3 to 4 pounders gorge themselves with the abundant forage. Summer numbers may slow down a bit with the heat but Spring and Fall are going to be amazing at Lakota.

OK enough of all that. Here are a few fish photos. Hope all you dads had an awesome Fathers Day Weekend!

Tight Lines to All!

Wayne & Phil Pruitt