Thanks, Rollin!

Jul 28 2020

Eric Carr

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Monday July 27, began 8am.  Wish I had started earlier, because the bass were active early but shut down as soon as the sun got up.  The property owners had killed the weeds in the lake, so the whole lake was fishable, and water visibility was only 12-15".  It was a merciless Texas-hot day.  After catching seven nice bass early from the bank on a gold/black willow leaf spinnerbait (love that lure), I tackled the boat situation.  The on-site boat was upright, full of water, in ankle-deep manure/mud on the south dam shore. The boat is old and beat up and falling apart, but doesn't leak a drop!  I trolled and fished all around the lake, barely avoiding heat stroke, catching three more fish, when I remembered reading the previous fishing report on Bridle Oaks.  So I went back to my car, drove up onto the dam so I could get a signal, and found the report submitted by Rollin Sarradet on July 24.  In it he stated that he found a certain area where he anchored and slaughtered them.  So I followed his description, figured I was probably close to his spot, and anchored.  It was noon by now, blazing hot and no breeze.  Absolute worst conditions for getting a bite. 

But they bit.  He said they had attacked his white chatterbait, but I hadn't packed one of those, so I threw senkos, flukes and Fat Alberts and got a fish on everything.  I caught 20 LMB there and then took a 3 or 4 hour break. Got back on the water around 6:30pm and fished all over the lake but had little success, so I went back to the spot and anchored again.  They were still there and bit again.  Around dusk I began throwing bigger swim baits and they loved those too.

Finished with 49 LMB up to 2.7lbs, and about 5 of those were under 14". Also landed a 1lb Bluegill on a Fat Albert.  Lost about 25-30.  All the bass were healthy and fought like a smallmouth.   

Visited with the property owners for a bit - a very nice older couple - and complemented them on such a well-maintained ranch.  It is a pleasure to fish here and I plan on returning often. 

Aug 27 2020

Rollin Sarradet

Fry

Number of Posts :

Glad to hear you found them Eric! Makes for a fun day even when it's hot!!

Aug 27 2020

Rollin Sarradet

Fry

Number of Posts :

Glad to hear you found them Eric! Makes for a fun day even when it's hot!!