Erik Wilkinson

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 25380
Property Name : Malouf Lake
Reservation Date : 08/02/2020 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 25 from very small to 3.5 pounds
Lures Used : swimjig, TX worm, Senko, Whopper Plopper

We launched right before dawn to an air temp of 70 degrees and water temp of 81 degrees with lots of top water activity but absolutely no bites on topwater lures. Continued to be very slow through early morning with just a few small bass on swimjigs in the central lake submerged trees. They were not chasing anything, with first few caught with swimjig sinking to bottom. Switched to babybass-colored Senkos which landed about 20 fish through about 11:00am when the increasing heat (paired with zero breeze) drove us off the lake. Top 5 fish all weighed 2.5+ pounds while all other were dinks we would have culled. A few 18-20" fish looked extremely boney and unhealthy. No action on the dam or the east shore. The lake was crystal clear except the dam side which was quite murky, I think due to lots of turtle activity. All-in-all a good day, but a little disappointed vs. other recent 1/2 days on this lake.

Aug 03 2020

Kirk Balsley

Fry

Number of Posts :

Some of you guys make my jaw drop.  25 fish by 11 am with a couple of 18-20” fish was “a little disappointing”?  I need to start doing partner finder and fish with some of you as I usually go alone :).   Just giving you a bit of a hard time :)

Aug 04 2020

Dale Pybus

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

You might try ultra-light lures and line on Malouf these days.  Maybe 6 lb. test and tiny Torpedoes or small Rebel Pop Rs, perhaps a Pond King spinnerbait and 4" Texas rigged or wacky worms.

......and don't think these will only catch unders.

Aug 04 2020

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Erik,

The turbidity in the water is caused by the predominant south wind that blows into the dirt bank on the north dam.