Chris Harper

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 25582
Property Name : Bluebonnet Ridge
Reservation Date : 08/22/2020 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 14 total 1 under 14"
Lures Used : wacky senko and Chug bug

I fished alone Saturday the 22nd; I started on the smaller lake at 1:30 pm bank fishing I worked all the way around the lake and picked up 1 - 12 inches on a wacky rigged Senko, no bites on the chatterbait or anything else I threw. I only fished here until 3:00 pm and packed up to give the Big lake a try. Water was very stained and grass reasonably heavy, but it was what I expected, and it was hot but never so hot that I needed to take a break. I threw Chatterbait, shallow crank, swim jig, swimbait, and all kinds of plastics around all the weed edges over the weeds thru the weeds, but I only caught one on a chatterbait 125 yards out in front of the overflow pipe. Healthy fish, but if the body matched the mouth, it would have been 5 lbs instead of a low three-pounder. This lake looks fishy, but I have a lot to learn to be successful on it. I think if I had fished it from 7 pm to dark, things would have turned around, but I wanted a change, so I headed back to the smaller lake with the dock and fished it for the last 2 hours. As a recap from 1:30 pm to 7:00 pm, I had two fish and only 3 or 4 bites.

Walking up to the smaller lake, it already had much more surface activity. My first cast to the weeds to the right of where the boat is I had one bite my Senko in half, Texas-rigged weightless. Over the next 30 mins, I picked up six fish on the Senko all healthy in the 2 to 3 lb range. At 7:15 pm, I tied on a silver and black chug bug and was able to catch another five fish. At first, I popped it softly but found out that the bigger fish wanted in ripped as violently and loudly as I could pull it. The topwater bite was so much fun with the fish flipping head over tail fin and fighting like crazy. The majority of the fish I caught off the bank across from the dock and towards the corner of the dam. The last fish was caught off the dock out in the middle casting as far as I could and snapping my rod tip down as hard as I could to make as much noise as I could. Man, that one smashed it and put up a great fight. I didn't have my scale, but it was about 4 lbs and made me think I was going to snap my rod, lifting it onto the dock.

I did have one hit the chug bug that stripped line, and I fought to the weed line, but once it got in the weeds it was able to spit the hooks. I would have loved to see how big it actually was.

For such a slow start, the day ended with a flurry of activity and a beautiful sunset. This property is a great place to get away, and I enjoyed it very much.

YITB,
Chris

Aug 26 2020

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Great report Chris, glad you got into some good action late!