15+ 1-2 lb large mouth

Sep 08 2020

Jeff Woerner

Fry

Number of Posts :

I took advantage of the unseasonably mild weather on Friday Sept 4th and took my first trip to Beaver Lake.  I was a bit concerned about the weeds based on the earlier fishing report.  I was glad to see the lake was able to be fished when I arrived.

The lake does have heavy hydrilla a few feet under the water across almost the entire lake.  I could run my trolling motor fine but my depth finder was of little use.  The Hydrilla is matted close to the shore across about half of the shore line.  There are lots of places you can find to fish along the wall line of the weeds.

I arrived around 3pm and fished until sunset.  I consistently caught bass all day long mostly on floating rat-l-traps and shallow running jerk baits.  I tried frogs, flipped a few jigs, and threw a few spinner baits with little or no success.  The weeds are very heavy and anything that ran deep enough to get into the weeds got covered in weeds.  I still have some learning to do when it comes to successfully punching the weeds!

A beautiful property with a very nice boat dock and a few structures in the water to fish.  I suggest a vehicle with a bit of clearance such as a truck if it has rained as there are a couple of drainage crossings on the way to the lake that hold water.  The road is hard packed rock so no need for a 4 wheel drive and I didn't encounter any mud.  I'll definitely be back to this lake to try and locate the bigger bass!  Most of the bass I caught were right at 2 lbs and looked like the picture I attached.  The sunset was amazing as you can see from the picture as well!