John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 25918
Property Name : Hickory Creek Ranch Lakes
Reservation Date : 09/25/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : > 60, most 1.5-3#, 24 harvested
Lures Used : dropshot, weightless worm, frog, fluke

Fellow members Ron Dupree and Bob Scheidemann joined me for a satisfying day catching bass at Hickory Creek Ranch on the 25th.  The morning was cooler (mid sixties) and the afternoon temp never reached 85, a serious improvement over the baking temps we have lived with all summer.  The bass were cooperative, more in the morning than the afternoon.  The water was fairly clear in the big lake and the weed growth was at a good level for fishing.  Throughout the day, most of the bass were relating to the outside edge of the grass rather than the brushpiles, timber, or island.  A variety of lures worked; frogs early then flukes, weightless worms, and dropshot later.  We caught a few on moving baits (beetle-spin, underspin, and squarebill) but they clearly preferred a slower presentation.  Most of the bass were 1.5# to 3# with quite a few harvested 12"ers but no big ones this trip. The bass were quite feisty for their size, often surprising us when we landed a smaller bass than we had expected based on the fight. Bob had no trouble driving to the back lake and reported it had significant weed growth. He caught a few there and reported that somebody proficient at punching may have been more successful.

The landowner (Wade) has built a low wooden stand to keep the boat off the ground.  It was nice not to worry if a snake or skunk was going to surprise you when you lifted the boat.  I can think of a number of other lakes where such a stand would be a welcome addition.  

Overall a fun day fishing and catching with friends on a very nice property.

Sep 26 2020

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

That's a fun day of fishing, glad you had a good time out there!  Good feedback on the stand for the boat.

Sep 26 2020

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Quick note on the back lake. Significant submerged weed growth covers most of the tank. Only the very center of the tank appears to be less vegetated (didn't bother to launch my kayak). I caught 4 nice sized LMB on a weightless fluke thrown from the bank during over an hour in the mid morning before moving back to the main tank.

Also note that the jon boat on this lake hasn't been moved in a while and it is shrouded by the native grasses and weeds (up to 3ft high). These same weeds also make it difficult to safely access the bridge to the small island. 

Bob