Beautiful camping, slow fishing Sept 18th, 2020

Oct 01 2020

Jeff Woerner

Fry

Number of Posts :

I visited Waterboo and camped on Sept 17th to fish the morning of Sept 18th.  The lake was full of very dense hydrilla at the time and because the lake doesn't get very deep their is really no relief from the weeds.  I mainly used spinner baits, senkos, floating jerk baits, and top waters.  Almost everything else I tried resulted in pulling in 20 lbs of weeds.

Fishing all morning until noon produced only 3 fish all about 1.5 lbs.  I had a few more bites that were very soft.  I lost what felt like maybe a bit larger fish in the weeds…or maybe it was all weeds and a very small fish.

The camping site at the lake is very peaceful sitting by the laek under a very large tree.  The site has a large fire pit, a picnic table, a hammock stand, and a small grill.  The location provides dark skies, amazing stars, and wonderful views of the horizon.  I'll be back to this place for the camping and hopefully better fishing.  It feels like your 100 miles from nowhere and the only non-nature sounds you here at night are the low hum of some sort of machinery in the distance.

I have Verizon and had absolutely no connectivity at the campsite.  Phone/date service was available near the entrance.  The ranch is large so download the map provided before you head out as at it is very detailed and helpful.  There are multiple roads within the ranch and you can easily find yourself on the wrong path.

A  couple of pics of the campsite are included.  These are long exposure shots making a very small fire look large.  Nobody get alarmed, I didn't build a bonfire just a very small fire to ward off the bugs and critters.

Oct 02 2020

Peter Helfert

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the pics!   Sounds peaceful