Oct 10 2020

John Hufstedler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 25937
Property Name : Double A Lake
Reservation Date : 10/09/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 22/14 to 22 inches
Lures Used : Chatterbait, crankbait, hollow body frog, baby brushhog, Berkly Power Worms

The lake is easy to find and the owner just had two more loads of rock delivered to improve the new boat ramp. I launch my kayak from the trailer and had no issues at all so I'm sure launching small boats will be easy.

I started fishing at 7:30 AM with water surface temp about 71.5 degrees with about an 7 mph breeze.  There was cloud cover all day. There is grass/weeds along most of the shore, anywhere from 6 feet to maybe 20 feet, but due to the size of the lake and structure it didn't hurt fishing at all.

I started fishing the east side of the lake with a chatter bait and swim bait.  I caught 3 fish along the edge of the grass. I fished around the edge of the grass around the perimeter of the lake, tried a babybrush hog and a crankbait. I caught one on the brush hog and nothing on the crankbait. On the second lap around the lake I tried a hollow body frog that did not get any interest at all.

I decided to use the depth finder to find structure out in the lake.  I switched to a 10" Berkley Power Worm (Red Shad) and caught a couple fishing down the slope from the bank toward the center of the lake.  That bite was slow so I switched to the Power Worm in Black/Grape.  That switch and finding the ridge that runs a good way across the lake made all the difference.  The ridge runs roughly in a line from the boat ramp toward a corral directly across the lake from the ramp.  If you've got a fish finder you will have no trouble finding it.  The side of the ridge toward the middle of the lake slopes from 28 feet or so up to 12 feet in some areas.  The side toward the shore drops pretty dramatically from 12 to 15 feet to the deepest part of the lake at 35 feet. By far I caught most of the fish for the day fishing both sides of this ridge. Some were caught as deep as 25-28 feet dragging the worm down the gradually sloped side of the ridge.

All of the fish were chunky and faught really hard.  They really bent the rod over and gave a good fight.  It was lots of fun.

From this first experience Double A is a great place to fish.  

Oct 12 2020

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Glad you had a great day out there John, and huge thanks for the intel on the ramp and the underwater ridge you found!