David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 26118
Property Name : Triple J Ranch
Reservation Date : 10/09/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 3, one dink, one 15", one crappie
Lures Used : crank bait, beetle spin

I fished Triple J Friday from 9:30 to 4:30. I caught three fish....a dink, a slab crappie and a 15 inch bass. I did however, spend the entire day viewing enormous amounts of fish suspended at 5 feet all across the lake...bait balls 3-4 feet in diameter in some locations in the channel. I tried to entice them to bite without success; chatterbait, swimbait, spinnerbait, crankbait, drop shot, ned rig, Carolina rig with a fluke, beetlespin with white and black grubs, jigging spoon all without much success. I trolled, tried long cast and retrieve, vertical jigging and was tempted to simply extend my big landing net and scoop at 'em!

It was a beautiful day save the East wind which was mild but remained easterly the entire day. Water temp was 78-80 and turbid/green with visibility of 2 feet. 

The club boat is in good shape and a semi V hull so it handles the wind and waves very well. 

There was a great number of 3" shade coming to the surface and gluping air it appeared. I saw hundreds over the day doing this. At first, I thought they were escaping predation, then as the day wore on I imagined they were mocking me but in the final analysis I think the pond is starting to turn over after the cold snap we had in the first week of October. The lows at that time dropped to the high 40's for several days in a row and may have caused the water temperature to invert. 

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!