A Chill Afternoon at Rock Chimney - 12/1/20

Dec 02 2020

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Fellow member John Shepard and I made a last minute trip to RC to try an afternoon of fishing sandwiched between two cold fronts. The wind was gusting from the south when we arrived so we spent an hour or so fishing the usual productive spots from the bank. After zero bites we transitioned to the jon boat and spent the last three hours having some success in the deeper portion of the tank between the launch and dam.

I spite of the slow bite, John managed to land 4 - 5 bass with the largest at 4lbs. I finally avoided being skunked with landing a 10" dink using a dropshot set up at 4:30PM. All of the bites came in deep water and the bass were extremely light colored. John caught the large one using a mod diving crank and his others using a wacky senko set up. Nothing else worked!

In spite of the recent rains the tank is down about another foot since my last report earlier this fall. Examining the tank (at the current water level) helps explain why this location has such a great bite proximal to the bank when the lake is full, which allows one a productive day regardless of whether it is fished from the bank or the jon boat! I can't wait to bring my 5 year old grandson here this spring!

Finally towards the end of the day Mr. Stanley rolled down and we had a nice visit! We thanked him for letting us fish this fine property, and wished him and his family a blessed Christmas!

Cheers,

Bob