Stephen Johnston

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 27365
Property Name : Double A Lake
Reservation Date : 03/16/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 32 Up to 7 pounds
Lures Used : Jackal Pompadour, Fluke, Popping Frog, Chatter Bait, Swim Jic

My son is off for Spring Break this week so I took off a day and we decided to fish Double A.  We arrived about 7:00 and were on the water at 7:30.  It was quite foggy and calm and the water temperature was 63 degrees.  We decided to try our luck by fishing topwater with both of us using Jackal Pompadours.  We landed our first fish in about 15 minutes which ended up being the biggest of the day at 7.2 pounds.  It was a tank!  The topwater bite stayed strong for about the next hour with us landing about 10 fish.  After the topwater bite died down we tried switching to chatter baits which we have had a lot of success with during previous trips to Double A.  Unfortunately since we last fished the property there has been a lot of what we call “snot grass” or “hair” that has developed over a good portion of the lake.  This has made fishing it much more difficult and made fishing chatter baits, swim jigs, etc. almost impossible to fish unless in open water away from the shoreline.  Each cast would result in your bait being covered to where it was ineffective.  It was not present on our 2 previous trips to the lake.  I don’t know why it has developed but the owner did come by and talked to us and mentioned that he had “fertilized” the lake.  

To avoid the “snot grass” we decided to fish flukes which was the bait of the day.  We caught approximately 20 of the 32 fish on flukes.  We used white and KVD magic colors (Strike King brand) and caught fish on both.  The bite slowed down quite a bit after 1:00 but still productive until about 4:30 when it pretty much stopped.  We ended up with a 7, two 6s, a 5, several 4.5, and multiple 2-3 pounders.  It was an awesome day and a great way to start Spring fishing.  I have posted pictures of the 7 pounder and the two 6 pounders.  Check out the videos my son posts of the day on Youtube @Trev J Fish.  The first one should get posted on Friday.

Mar 18 2021

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

That’s a great day, lots of nice fish!  I look forward to seeing the video, the pics are awesome.