Gilmer, Hat and Star Ranch 3/20 All Day - 3/21 AM

Mar 22 2021

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Report for Hat and Star Ranch. Son and I fished most of Saturday (10 AM - 7 PM) and Sunday 7 AM – 10 AM.  

1st off, this is a great looking property and a beautiful lake.  Very clean and manicured in a park like setting.  Good boat ramp area.  For those that have fished the old Yates Place, it had a similar feel, look and layout, but more timber than Yates.

Reading through reports, I thought this lake would be a challenge but also rewarding.  We had beautiful weather but that sometimes works against you bass fishing.  We had light winds, bluebird skies and on the tail end of the front that came through mid-week.  BassForecast was around a 3.5 so all told I had tempered expectations.

We managed 9 bass on Saturday with 2 dinks removed and 5 bass on Saturday with 2 dinks removed.  Fish came on mostly trigged plastics.  Those returned were mostly healthy 16”-18” fish.  No real pattern.  Caught some in the timber out deep and some in the backs of the many small coves.  Saw 1 bed fished in the far back of the north creek arm.  It was about a 2 lb buck bass, no big girl around.  Sight fishing for bed fish is not my thing but my son loves it and worked on this 1 for about 10 minutes   We knew immediately that it was locked on as it never spooked and  took a swipe at his first attempt.  A couple of pitches later he fooled it on a blue and green pumpkin (Okeechobee) rage craw.  Again, not my thing and unless it's a monster I'll let him mess with them for a few minutes. 

One cool thing we did see was some schooling activity this morning around 8 am on the main lake.  We chased a couple of these schools and managed 2 chunky football bass for our efforts.  

Packed up around 10 and headed back to Fort Worth.  

Side note:  we saw a dead beaver on the dam bank.  This was the 2nd dead beaver we have seen recently.  We fished Walnut Springs-Moonshine Lake 2 weeks ago and saw another dead beaver there.  Thought the one at Moonshine Lake was a casualty of the Artic Blast, not sure about the one at Hat and Star.