Mar 23 2021

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 27585
Property Name : Triple J Ranch
Reservation Date : 03/22/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : No LMB, 1 crappie
Lures Used : chatterbait, spinnerbait, rattletrap, square bill, drop shot, jig, swim jig

I had scheduled JJJ for Monday with hopes of getting a bit of a “pre-frontal boost” but, as has been common over the last 12 months, things did not go according to plan.

I arrived at noon after an unexpected morning delay, missing the morning bite. As is my habit I bank fished the boat launch area to be sure no lunker was hanging out there, then launched. By this time the wind was a steady 15 mph from the south with gusts up to 35 or so. The water, as usual this time of year, was that chocolate milk color, about 64 degrees. The air temp was 63 at noon.The water level is higher than normal with the small dock pilings just to the right of the launch area submerged by a foot or so. 

The day consisted of positioning the boat, dropping two anchors, attempting to fish an area...then repeat. Casting, not my strongest suite on a good day, was shall we say less than predictable, even with upsized lure weights. 

I caught a single crappie in about 10 feet of water about 20 yards from the west end of the dam on a drop shot white wacky worm. 

At 1:45 the rain started and at 2:25 the first clap of thunder drove me off the lake. 

Adding insult, as I worked the boat and the wind to ground at the launch site, I spooked what had to be a 5 lb + bass about 2 feet off the shoreline at the launch site!

Oh well.