Awesome Day, Even Better Property

Mar 29 2021

Ben Steed

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 27717
Property Name : Dogwood Lakes Estate: East Lake
Reservation Date : 03/27/2021 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 31 (5 under slot, 25 1-3 lb, 1 @ 6lb)
Lures Used : Tried a lot, Swim Senko caught All 31

We wanted to fish this property last year and was sad that it went offline.  Seeing this property come back into the fold recently was exciting and we jumped on it right away.  Fished Saturday March 27, 2021 for the afternoon from about 12 – 5.  Got blown off the lake by a massive storm coming thru that later produced a few tornados in Carthage and into LA.

First, just driving up to this property was incredible!  I haven’t fished every PWF property, but I can not imagine any being more immaculate than this one.  Absolutely gorgeous road, home, and the lake was perfect.  The lake is full of submerged timber, so keep it slow as you move about.  Even though it was a bow mounted trolling motor and I was looking constantly to avoid stumps, I still seemed to run into a few.  The club boat is very solid, wide for stability, and the bow mounted trolling motor made things much more enjoyable. 

Onto to the important part…

We immediately headed towards the far end of the lake from the boat launch.  Tried a few things, nothing seemed to work until we threw my goto soft plastic which is a Gary Yamamoto swim senko (see pic below), or paddle tail senko as I call them.  I fish these a little different than a swim bait.  TX Rigged and work them slowly up and down along the bottom.  We started getting hits right away.  I was using watermelon with red flake and my son was using june bug.  Both worked.  We worked down the shoreline and it seems most bites came about 4-10 feet off the shoreline.  Nothing really hitting on the shallow beds, all were slightly off the shoreline.  Would catch a few and move down the shoreline occasionally “trying the otherside of the boat” with no luck in deeper water.  In fact, we fished all the brush piles in the middle of the lake and caught nothing. 

Towards the end of the lake there is a natural made island (on the right as you boat towards the end of the lake) with a 6-8 foot channel on both sides of it with seemlingly a bit deeper water.  Into that and WHAM...felt like I hooked onto the back bumper of a semi.  Landed a 5 lb 14 ounce LMB (pic doesn’t do it justice) that got us both excited!  Really pretty fish, good health, and good length. 

From there it was really just a bunch of 1-3 pounders with some culls along the way.  I do want to say though, we probably could have landed another 10 fish, but they were so small that they weren’t getting the hooks in their mouths for us to set.  If you fish this lake anytime soon and the cull is still on, definitely do the culling.

In summary, awesome property with great club boat, definitely a lake with some large bass in there.  Enjoy!