Chunky

Apr 09 2021

Jeff Pennell

Fry

Number of Posts :

There is something about these Athens lakes. They seem to always produce chunky, angry fish that fight twice their size. I fished Northeast lake last Sat 4/3 from 7:00 to 11:00. It's a beautiful property. Winds calm, upper 40’s temps and cloudy skies to start the day. I saw beds but there was no action on them. I could not get any top water response. I picked up a few fish along the launch bank working my way to the creek on a Senko. All the hits came about 8-12 ft off the bank. There was no action in the shallows so I worked my way back along the opposite bank. It was slow. I saw some shad pop up so I threw a rattletrap and immediately hooked a nice fish. He came up and spit me out and looked to be 5+. I worked the rattletrap for the next 30 min and again several times when I saw shad but got no response. I picked up one fish on a jig and craw and a few sporadically on the Senko until I got to the dam. Along the dam I picked up several fish on the senko again 8-10 feet off the bank. It was then time to go. Total of 11 fish, all in the 2-4 pound range except one that was smaller but still not a cull. These fish are beautifully healthy with great color and again fight like crazy! Fun day.