Stephen Ford

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 27545
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 04/09/2021 All Day - 04/10/2021 AM
Total Fish/Sizes : 37 LMB/up to 3lbs 3oz
Lures Used : A little of everything, mostly swimbaits with underspin

I reserved Post Oak as a getaway weekend for me and a longtime friend for his 40th birthday weekend. He is not as experienced in fishing as most of us, but he does enjoy it and wanted to go.

We arrived Friday afternoon. Looking at the lake, the wind gusts at the time were going to make it hard to manage the boat. We opted to bank fish for a couple of hours near the bridge. We caught 11 in a short time then went to the provided lodging, got cleaned up and drove into town for dinner. The accommodations are great for cooking as well, but some last minute changes in our plans did not allow us to prepare food. It was easier to just go somewhere. I recommend the burgers at Doc’s Icehouse in Franklin.

Next morning we were on the water around 8:00 and started catching right away. Over the next several hours, we caught 26 bass and a few ambitious bluegill.  We lost several as well. I'm blaming the wind for slack and bad hooksets. It was probably just us, but I'm sticking with that justification since I hate losing fish at the boat.

The wind was still strong, so we would drop anchor and let the wind take us across the water slowly.  Most fish came from the middle of the lake as they were relating to the humps in less than 4’ of water.  They hit swimjigs, lipless, pop-rs, buzzbaits , and weightless Senkos, but the 4” swimbaits were our main weapon.  The larger (15”-18”) fish were all quite skinny. With the water temp around 73, I have to assume the spawn was complete. They were still very strong and a joy to land.

Overall, we couldn't ask for a better time. The boat ramp was a little steep compared to what I'm used to, so it caused a little difficulty. We made it work, though.

The photos are of the 3+ lber and my friend when his reel came off during a fish fight. He still got the fish. It was entertaining to watch,