Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 27917
Property Name : Flying J
Reservation Date : 04/18/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 32
Lures Used : Variety - Trap, Senko, Squarebill

Took the daughter just to fish a new lake. Beautiful lake, very clear water but with a decent stain.  Varying depths throughout the lake with some deepish 15 foot water in many spots. Lots of timber, structure, and vegetation – I prefer lakes with fishable vegetation and this fits the bill.  We got there at 9:30, but didn’t get fishing till near 11. Fished till 6:30 with an hour and half lunch break at 1.  

We did have a rough start though. The boat leaks, slowly, but it leaks (looks like the wood backing in the back is rotting –  and, separetely, the plug is too small for the hole or isn’t adhesive enough.  I macgyver’d a fix using some sticky plastic I managed to have in my car.  

Next up – my trolling motor had issue with the eel grass. When the breaker kicked in and my motor died, the wind pushed us to the south end and we couldn’t get out because the eel grass was really thick – kept winding into the prop near the dowel.  So in the lake I went and pushed us out far enough – after three tries and undoing the prop on the trolling motor multiple times, we were finally fishing an hour later.  

Once got on the lake, it was great.  Young lake with alot of bass, looked like crappie and large bluegill/sunbfish.  My daughter caught a massive sunfish on a rattletrap.  

As for bass, we worked the vegetation in the middle of the lake near some timber and towards the north east bank with traps/squarebills/senkos.  Water is clear, so natural colors for the most part. Caught 30+ bass, with 3 over 2lbs.  Most were small, but my daughter doesn’t care, she just like to catch fish (11 years old) and plenty of fish were had.  

She ‘beat me’ this time in total fish.  I’ll let her have it even though I walked into the lake to push us out and gave her my favorite trap.  She used a baitcaster for most of the day with only a handful of backlashes (none of which was bad) – so I call that a really successful day for us.  

I was able to catch this nice 3.6 near the north east end by some brush. Overall – this lake is going to be amazing in two years.  May need to be stocked with shad – didn’t see much in the way of shad in the corner.  It has crawfish – a few of the bigger fish had red mouth inside from eating craws.  My two cents anyway. 

Apr 19 2021

Michael Lukich

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hi Joshua, I fished the lake day before.  Thanks for mentioning NE corner.  We spent a lot of time there.  Glad you and your daughter caught  a lot of fish.

mike

Apr 19 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Michael Lukich

Hi Joshua, I fished the lake day before.  Thanks for mentioning NE corner.  We spent a lot of time there.  Glad you and your daughter caught  a lot of fish.

mike

Thanks Mike – small fish lake, it’s young, but was a good learning experience for my daughter as she was forced to use stuff she doesn’t normally use b/c of the eel grass. We had fun and were able to catch of couple of decent post spawn females in transition areas.  Boat needs some work though. 

Apr 19 2021

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Thanks Mike – small fish lake, it’s young, but was a good learning experience for my daughter as she was forced to use stuff she doesn’t normally use b/c of the eel grass. We had fun and were able to catch of couple of decent post spawn females in transition areas.  Boat needs some work though. 

Joshua – way to go HERO dad. That’s the way to stick with it and turn the rough spots into a rewarding day on the water – spending irreplaceable time with your daughter!

Mark

Apr 19 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Mark Daugherty

Joshua – way to go HERO dad. That’s the way to stick with it and turn the rough spots into a rewarding day on the water – spending irreplaceable time with your daughter!

Mark

Thank you Mark – just gotta make it work by any means necessary sometimes.  

Apr 20 2021

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Mark Daugherty

Mark

Definitely HERO dad Joshua, way to fight through the early challenges.  We will work with the owner on the boat and are working with him already on the lake management; as you note, this lake will be dynamite in a couple of years, it has “great bones”.  Impressive that your daughter is working a bait caster!

Apr 20 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Scott Quigley

Definitely HERO dad Joshua, way to fight through the early challenges.  We will work with the owner on the boat and are working with him already on the lake management; as you note, this lake will be dynamite in a couple of years, it has “great bones”.  Impressive that your daughter is working a bait caster!

Thanks Scott – been really impressed with PWF so far – I’ve fished the same club lake for 10 years and it is nice to have some variety and places that are easier to fish for my daughter.  RE: the boat – I’ve definitely fished on worse and just happy to have something that floats – the Massoud family is pretty easy going on that stuff.