Slow bite but decent numbers at Rock Creek

Apr 28 2021

Mark Borge

Fry

Number of Posts :

Date: 4-27-2021

One of the great perks of being a member of Private Water Fishing is the anticipation of fishing a pond you haven’t fished before. We were eager to fish either of the Santo Lakes, and chose Rock Creek for starters. It’s pretty easy to access and on a beautiful spread of land. We arrived around 7:40, observing deer and hearing turkey along the way and throughout the day. For starters, we thought we’d try some bank fishing. The water was quite clear. One hit a Zara puppy around the grass at the dam and another on a Senko. We lanched “tubby,” my 10’ bass raider, and proceeded to assess the lake as best we could, trying to note the depth changes. Throughout the day we threw most every bait in the box but the most success was on #297 Senkos and green watermelon seed zoom lizards thrown up towards the banks behind the timber around the perimeters. We didn’t have much success in the open water. Trav also caught a few on a black and blue jackhammer chatterbait with a black and blue craw trailor. Others were caught around the dam, primarily on Senkos. For the most part, the bite was very subtle but once on, these fish do know how to fight. Combined, we think we landed about 25. I tried to stick with just a couple baits (senko and chatterbait) while Trav threw numberous baits throughout the day and outfished me about 5 to 1. It was just hard to find a really consistent pattern. There were a few culls and the largest ones caught were in the neighborhood of about 3lbs  each. I felt like we had to work for these fish, particularly in comparison to the success we’ve had at other properties recently. But at the end of the day, we were quite grateful to be able to try our luck at such a beautiful property that isn’t that far from home.