Apr 28 2021

John Hufstedler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 28044
Property Name : Deer Trail Ranch
Reservation Date : 04/27/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 28, 16"-18"
Lures Used : White spinner bait, hollow body frog, chartreuse chatter bait, large swim bait, baby brush hog, finesse worm

I arrived at the property about 3:30 Monday to get camp set up and found the owners mowing the boat ramp area.  They are really friendly and talked about the dam blowing out and having to start growing bass for us to catch. Spent the night and got on the water early.

The south end of the lake is probably 40-50% covered with weeds and that slimy junk. The same mix of slime and weeds is around the whole lake sometimes extending to about 20-25 feet from shore, but sometimes only a few feet. That is the reason I started fishing with the hollow body frog.  I got about three blowups on it going down about ¼ of the way to the dam, but failed to set the hook. I switched to the spinner bait and caught a couple of fish then tried the baby brush hog for a while. I didn’t catch anything all day on plastics. I took a short break and thought about all the fishing reports on the lake and decided to make a couple of changes.

The first was to try the chartreuse chatter bait. That decison was what made the day a  great day. I started catching fish sometimes on consecutive casts. I caught 28 fish on the day!  Mostly 16” to 17” with a couple that went a little over 18”.  They were all good fighters. Most of the fish were caught along the east bank along the edge of the weedy slime.  I tried to get as close to the slime/weed edge so I spent a lot of time pulling the slime off the chatterbait. 

Apr 28 2021

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Love it John. Great adjustment!

Mark

Apr 29 2021

Murray Camp

Fry

Number of Posts :

Great report.  SImilar to my recent experience on that lake.   I’ve gotten to the point that when I throw a fast bait, 90% of the time it’s a chatterbait.     I hope and expect that the snot moss will reduce as the coontail picks up steam and deleted excess phospate.   

Apr 29 2021

Murray Camp

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Murray Camp

Great report.  SImilar to my recent experience on that lake.   I’ve gotten to the point that when I throw a fast bait, 90% of the time it’s a chatterbait.     I hope and expect that the snot moss will reduce as the coontail picks up steam and deleted excess phospate.   

*depletes excess phosphate