Apr 29 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 28263
Property Name : Bennett Lake
Reservation Date : 04/28/2021 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 10
Lures Used : Epic Baits Plastic Worm - Watermelon/Junebug and Watermelon with Chartreuse Tail

I made an afternoon trip to Bennett Lake yesterday. Since it is 160 miles away, I went for the afternoon only fishing on this lake. I made it to the lake right at noon and did not really know what to expect since it is my first time. I got to the ramp area and was pleasantly suprised to find the ramp is made using some 2” – 3” lava rack for launching a trailer and worked great. It goes deep enough to launch most any boat, but I launched my Hobie PA14 360 with little effort from it’s trailer.

After launch, the water gets deep very fast which makes it easy to drop my spot lock trolling motor in the down position and my pedals without hitting bottom. I started across the lake directily across from the launch and noticed the entire way out, I saw tons of underwater vegatation and could see it down to 10 foot easily making the water super clear. I caught one very quickly that went just over 2 lbs and thought, this will be a great day. The wind however was terrible and gave my spotlock motor a run for it’s money and it kept turning my boat in different directions with the wind gusting in several directions constantly. It was blowing hard enough, it moved my Texas Rigged Worm with 1/8 oz slip weight around under water and had a hard time keeping the slack out of my line enough to notice any bites. I then moved to a more calm location from the wind, and was able to catch several more in the 2-3lb range.

I made one cast and could feel a bass picking at my worm and waited and waited for it to take it and run, but never did. I kept all slack out of the line and after a bit, I set the hook. The fish was then on and swam towards me for a bit and thinking it was another 2 lb’er. All of a sudden, it started to really put on a fight and soon it was taking line from my reel and I could not stop it. It went very shallow and after fighting a bit, and I could see that it was a monster bass, it went hard and straightened out my hook and got off. I was sick as I know it was my personal best ever. My 4-0 hook was straightened out upon inspection. I have it all on video for proof too and will post it here in a  reply when I get video sorted out.

I fished until it was getting a bit dark and was a very cloudy and windy day. I ended up with 10 bass and 4 were 14” and under that I harvested. Upon inspection of the 4 small bass that I cleaned, I found one small sun perch in one bass stomach and another bass had a minnow and a small crawfish inside. I can see there is bait for them to eat. Since I have the Garmin Livescope, I did see a few shad bait schools also in the water indicating it is a lake with bait and lots of vegatatiom in the water although it is very fishable. I fished a hollow frog a bit and got a few hits, but they were small and never took frog hard. I ended up catching most every fish on an “Epic Bait”  “Watermelon/Junebug” colored worm. www.epic-bait.com which is my own bait company. These Senko style of worms are my go to color for catching bass. Sure wish I could have made a report on the size of that big bass I lost but maybe again as I will be coming back here again. It is a great little lake.

The house on the property appears to be abandoned and never saw another soul. It was quiet other than the windy day and sure love having the water all to myself. This was my second trip since joining the club a couple of weeks ago. Private Water Fishing is the bomb! Video of fishing trip will be posted soon under a reply if it allows it.

The road getting to the property is quite narrow with some branches hitting the side of my truck and upon getting to the gate, the electronic gate no longer works and has a cable and lock using the get code to open. The gate works great and was easy to operate. You get to a “Y” in the road and the bigger path is not the direction to go, but take the narrow road to the left instead. I was wondering if this was correct for a bit since it is narrow path in the forest, but it opens up to the property which is a great property. I got tons of small hits also in the shallow grass but they were I believe perch and could not get to the hook to catch one to know for sure.

Apr 29 2021

Michael Lynds

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hi Dale, good report.  I have fished Bennett many times.  Did you get a look at the big fish that got off?  I’m curious if it coudl have been a large catfish?  I know there are some cats in there.  Overall that is one of my favorite lakes.  I did meet the owner only one time years ago but nobody seems to live there anymore.  How were the weeds and underwater grass?  Is it getting thick and hard to fish? 

Apr 29 2021

John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Dale,

Welcome to the club.  As you noted,  Bennett is blessed with very clear water and abundant vegetation that enhances rather than limits the fishing most of the time.  My experience has been that I often have to search for the bass (shallow in the weeds?, busting shad in the deep water?, around the laydowns?) until I find where they are on the day but am rewarded with solid, healthy bass. I often employ more techniques than usual in a single day at Bennett but that is because of the variety of habitat.

John

Apr 30 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Michael Lynds

Hi Dale, good report.  I have fished Bennett many times.  Did you get a look at the big fish that got off?  I’m curious if it coudl have been a large catfish?  I know there are some cats in there.  Overall that is one of my favorite lakes.  I did meet the owner only one time years ago but nobody seems to live there anymore.  How were the weeds and underwater grass?  Is it getting thick and hard to fish? 

I did get a good look and was definately a bass. Huge head and mouth! Vegetation was not heavy and most was a few foot under the water giving good fishing. Wonder if place would be for sale, not that I could afford it.

Apr 30 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By John Shepard

Dale,

Welcome to the club.  As you noted,  Bennett is blessed with very clear water and abundant vegetation that enhances rather than limits the fishing most of the time.  My experience has been that I often have to search for the bass (shallow in the weeds?, busting shad in the deep water?, around the laydowns?) until I find where they are on the day but am rewarded with solid, healthy bass. I often employ more techniques than usual in a single day at Bennett but that is because of the variety of habitat.

John

Yes, never tried a crank bait and likely could have caught more if I did but was stuck on using old reliable worm. I love worm fishing. Found some in deeper part on Livescope and was in 20 foot of water and staying about 12 foot suspended. Tried a swimbait for a few minutes but that was all other than frog in the bank grasses. Small hits on frog but solid on worm.

May 01 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Dale Stagg

Yes, never tried a crank bait and likely could have caught more if I did but was stuck on using old reliable worm. I love worm fishing. Found some in deeper part on Livescope and was in 20 foot of water and staying about 12 foot suspended. Tried a swimbait for a few minutes but that was all other than frog in the bank grasses. Small hits on frog but solid on worm.

Finished Video on YouTube! https://youtu.be/fzYT6CQauMs