May 01 2021

Charles McCallum

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 28030
Property Name : Deer Trail Ranch
Reservation Date : 04/30/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 82 total 16 harvested 4.5 was largest
Lures Used : Fluke, chatterbait, lipless crankbait, wacky rig senko, t-rig z craw

Hit the water at 7am with fairly slick conditions.  The slime moss was pretty thick by the launch but most of the lake was pretty clear except for 2-10 ft from shore. Started at the northeast corner and quickly got on the bite. The top water bite with a frog and buzzbait did not deliver so we quickly switched to a fluke and t-rigged zcraw.  Managed to catch 51 by 12:30pm and then took a 30 min lunch break.  They were more reluctant to hit a moving bait after lunch so we slowed down with wacky rig senkos. 

Funny story, around 2:30pm it started to sprinkle.  So after landing a decent fish I straightened my soft plastic and set down my rod with the bait hanging over the side maybe 6 inches in the water to put on my rain gear. As I'm getting my arms in my jacket I see my rod move and next thing I know it’s overboard and in the water.  Luckily I had a full cork handle and the butt was sticking out of the water.  With a quick push of the trolling motor we managed to grab it and pull in the fish.  We almost died laughing especially after I remembered that Mark D just told the same story at the same lake 3 weeks earlier.  So my buddy decides to be cute and lay down his rod with his bait hanging over the side to put on his rain pants, he gets them half pulled up and wham, it happens to him but luckily he's quick enough to grab the rod and pull it in. All while his rain pants are hanging at his knees.  We get all suited up and say what the heck we both just drop our lines over the side and mange to pull in 3-4 fish just sitting there laughing the whole time.  Finally after 2 hrs of getting rained on we called it a day and headed in.  What a blast!  I will say Deer Trail has some of the hardest fighting 2-3 lbers I've seen. Can't wait to go back.

May 01 2021

Stephen Ford

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Charles, that is a great story. Thanks for sharing and congrats on a fantastic day!  I have Deer Trail booked in 3 weeks and hope the bite keeps up as it has been. If it slows down, maybe I'll just set a rod down with something dangling in the water to see what it lands me. I'll be sure it is with a cork handle rod.

May 01 2021

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Oh my goodness. So funny – we've been doing it all wrong this whole time! Great trip and great story Charles!

And good luck on DT Stephen F. 

Mark

May 01 2021

Michael Lukich

Fry

Number of Posts :

Fishing deer trail Sunday.  How is the road going to the lake?  Worried about road and rain.

thaks,

Mike

May 01 2021

Charles McCallum

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Michael Lukich

Fishing deer trail Sunday.  How is the road going to the lake?  Worried about road and rain.

thaks,

Mike

Road is excellent, has a gravel base. We had no issues in a FWD VW Atlas.  It was wet the whole time and tires never slipped,

May 01 2021

Michael Lukich

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Charles McCallum

Road is excellent, has a gravel base. We had no issues in a FWD VW Atlas.  It was wet the whole time and tires never slipped,

Thanks a bunch!  

May 01 2021

John Daniels

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Nice story