Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 28467
Property Name : Malouf Lake
Reservation Date : 05/09/2021 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 27 up to 3.1lbs
Lures Used : Pop R/Buzz Bait/Swim Bait

I crushed mothers day for my wife and my mom this AM so my wife let me sneak out for an afternoon of fishing. 

I had watched Gerald Swindle this weekend at Neely Henry run buzzbaits throughout the day off weedy points/areas to catch some nice post spawn bass and decided to try my best to imitate it when I arrived at Malouf around 3:30.  I’ve never had tremendous success using one and PWF really gives you the opportunity to try different stuff and develop confidence in it b/c of the variety you get in lakes.  I thought about running a frog but I absolutely hate the hookup ratio on frogs and didn’t really have the setup on my rods anyway (braid).  

I alternated between the BB on points and a Pop R in the shady spots I could find (and a swimbait near the timber in the middle of the lake when I fished there for a bit).  Aside from a lull period when I couldn’t make it happen near the dam, I was able to catch a bunch of fish quickly in my 4 hours fishing.  Not sure if Malouf has any that are that big, but aide from 3 on a swimbait, I was pretty evenly split between the PopR and the buzzbait in terms of numbers. My bigger fish were definitely on the buzzbait – they absolutely crushed it.  By 7pm I kept thinking ‘just one more’ and then finally forced myself to leave at 7:30.  

If the vegetation matts over in the summer, I can definitely see myself running a punching rig – not sure what else you would do other than weightless senkos/flukes. 

Conditions – windy, warm – water was 79 degrees, good green stain with visibility at about 2 feet.  Fished down both banks, looking for shade, and where the depth changed from 3 to 6 feet off points where the wind was blowing over it. Mot of the forage I saw when launching the boat was a pale-ish color and I matched it with ghost/bone color lures.  There are severral little mini coves/pockets and focusing on the points out from those where the wind crossed them I found mini schools of bass – 10-15 in a group. 

May 10 2021

John Jones

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

That breaks my heart hearing you say that about frogs! LOL! Give ‘em another chance! A lot of my bigger fish have come on frogs! Yes, i’ve missed plenty, but the practice is half the fun for me!

Thanks for the report, i’ve always been interested in Malouf, just never have gotten out there.

And to answer your question at the end about what to throw over those matted areas…...Frog! lol

May 10 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By John Jones

That breaks my heart hearing you say that about frogs! LOL! Give ‘em another chance! A lot of my bigger fish have come on frogs! Yes, i’ve missed plenty, but the practice is half the fun for me!

Thanks for the report, i’ve always been interested in Malouf, just never have gotten out there.

And to answer your question at the end about what to throw over those matted areas…...Frog! lol

Don’t get me wrong – I’ll run a frog – it just isn’t my ‘first’ choice if I can get something else to produce.  Mostly though, I’ve used my membership at PWF in conjunction with my BassU subscription to pick a technique that I haven’t mastered, and really tried to hone in on it/develop confidence.    My home lake is a very old lake and very predictable – it is a blessing to finally be able to fish stuff that I don’t normally get to fish (rocks, different vegetation types, different water stains, different forage types, different and deeper structures/humps like at Wills Point).  

May 10 2021

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

First and foremost, congrats on crushing it on Mother’s Day…I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting to hear your secrets on that!  Malouf is the lake where I’ve had the best luck fishing buzz bait…lots of different types of areas to fish there so for what you’re doing with your BassU subscription it should continue to be a great place to hone your new techniques.

May 10 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Scott Quigley

First and foremost, congrats on crushing it on Mother’s Day…I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting to hear your secrets on that!  Malouf is the lake where I’ve had the best luck fishing buzz bait…lots of different types of areas to fish there so for what you’re doing with your BassU subscription it should continue to be a great place to hone your new techniques.

Thanks Scott – I mostly just listened to my wife and did what she told me!  Made a big deal of everything, have reservations planned, make the house spotless, mobilize the kiddos, etc. 

Been a great year so far, so glad I found PWF. 

May 10 2021

Markous Vinson

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Don’t get me wrong – I’ll run a frog – it just isn’t my ‘first’ choice if I can get something else to produce.  Mostly though, I’ve used my membership at PWF in conjunction with my BassU subscription to pick a technique that I haven’t mastered, and really tried to hone in on it/develop confidence.    My home lake is a very old lake and very predictable – it is a blessing to finally be able to fish stuff that I don’t normally get to fish (rocks, different vegetation types, different water stains, different forage types, different and deeper structures/humps like at Wills Point).  

Have you ever tried using a frog trailer hook? It helps a lot with short strikes & blow ups its made by VMC shaped like a “Y”! Your hook up ratio will definitely go up.

May 10 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Markous Vinson

Have you ever tried using a frog trailer hook? It helps a lot with short strikes & blow ups its made by VMC shaped like a “Y”! Your hook up ratio will definitely go up.

Thank you for the tip Markous – I’ll give it a go!