Escondido – No pattern, but successful

May 16 2021

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 28275
Property Name : Lago Escondido
Reservation Date : 05/13/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 9 (3 each 19, 17, 16 inches)
Lures Used : Multiple (see report)

Late report: I fished Escondido on May 13th from around 7:30 until around 3 in the afternoon. Escondido is almost full with the water level about 2 ft below the swimming pier. It was easy to launch the kayak and the water had a good stain with clarity of a couple feet and temperature of 73 degrees.  The day was mostly cloudy with a steady cool breeze of about 10 MPH. Top-water was active for the first hour with two landed on a popper along the dam.  The rest of the day, I caught another seven using the following lures:

- Ned rig near standing timbers in 10-15 ft of water (first catch with this lure)

- Suspending jerk bait among the standing timbers in 15-20 ft of water

- Rattle trap in open water 6-12 ft

- Shallow running crank where weeds were a couple of feet below the surface (they hit it immediately)

- Shallow running crank near small standing timbers with weeks below the surface

I did not cull any fish and here are the length totals:

3 – 19 inches

3 – 17 inches

3 – 16 inches

So far there are no lily pads, but it may be too early.

I was also able to test a new fish measuring rig so I could take pictures easily while in my kayak (see photo below) and it worked very nicely.

Bill

May 16 2021

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Bill, 

Great to have you back fishing again!

Steve

May 17 2021

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Bill, 

Great to have you back fishing again!

Steve

Steve. Thanks. Not being able to fish since early January was not much fun. Still doing physical therapy only once per week now. 

Bill