Slow Beginning, Strong Ending

May 28 2021

Paul Jarzemsky

Fry

Number of Posts :

I took a chance on Thursday afternoon (5/27) and fished Ben Wheeler between all the rainy days they’ve had recently, and are forecast for this weekend and beyond.  Checking the Weather Underground website, I noticed that it hadn’t rained there since the 3 1/2”  deluge 4 days earlier, so I was hoping the water was starting to clear.  When I was there the the larger (East?) lake I fished was not muddy, but the water was stained, and the visibility was about 24”.  I started out fishing swimbaits and plastic worms, and got about 3 hits in 3 hours, so I got off the water and took a little break.  When I got back at it, I switched to a fly rod using poppers and got a lot more action.  I missed or lost several fish, but managed to land 3 very nice ones.  The largest was 20”, very strong and must have weighed between 4 and 5 lbs.  Another was 18” and put on quite an aerial display.  I should have landed more, but it’s sometimes hard for me to keep cool and wait a second to set the hook after they smash a popper on the surface.  All the action I had was along the shore line opposite the dock.  There’s lots of structure there including submerged tree trunks, and stumps, not all of which are visible.  This trip was a replay of the one I made 3 weeks ago:  very slow at midday, and lots of action from about 5:00 until sunset.

May 29 2021

Dale Pybus

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Great report.

I look forward each year, to the post-spawn time period when bass become very aggressive to top water presentations. It’s so much fun.