Best fishing day in a long time / raw thumbs and sore shoulders LOL

May 30 2021

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 28359
Property Name : Double A Lake
Reservation Date : 05/29/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : About 25, 2lb. - 5lb.
Lures Used : Baby 1- (shallow crank), deep diving crank, Magnum Fluke, Tokyo rig/red craw worm

I’ve been looking forward to fishing this lake for two months. Heavy bookings and heavy rain have kept me away. Finally go there with my brother Jerry. We let the roads dry some from previous rains – got there around 11. Navigated through the curious cows to the launch area with no problems. Met Joe the owner who gave us some tips. Very nice guy – hoping PWF members enjoy his lake. He’s planning to keep improving the area to enhance our experience there, including clearing the thick vegetation at the launch site.

Launched and headed north. Water temp 79°, partly cloudy light breezes all day. 15 minutes later, the first fish was Jerry’s on a chrome Baby 1-  4.5 pounds – a great start. Then another and another. So, Jerry had the first, the biggest and the most, but who’s counting? LOL

We quickly discovered the pattern we followed all day. Big bass were herding shad and bluegill against the weed line at the northeast corner of the lake. Anywhere from 1 – 5 or 6 large bass busting the surface in an explosive feeding frenzy. A quick well aimed cast was often rewarded with a nice fish. Jerry and I had never seen this on PFW lakes, only big lakes like Fork.

We trolled along the entire shoreline catching a fish here and there then took a short break. Next, we tried various spots but it was hard to ignore the commotion in the northeast corner. This went on all day. All fish caught were very chunky and healthy – all fat and not a mark or spot on any of them! To give our chewed up thumbs (these brutes have teeth!) and sore shoulders a rest we’d troll around and catch one here and there. I caught a nice bass on my second cast of a Tokyo rig – first time to try it. (see photo)

Back in the “hot zone” we caught 6 nice bass on a chartreuse/blue deep diving crank bait.

Be aware that the water almost everywhere is DEEP. The thick weed lines run out from the shore anywhere from 10’ to 100’ from shore. Even 10’ from shore the water is over 20’ deep! In some places the weed line edge is over 35’ of water! So when (not if) you catch a big one anywhere, she’ll dive deep and you’ll have a deep water fight on your hands. We caught between 20 and 25 with the smallest being 2 pounds, and there was only one 2 pounder. Caught 2 fives, several 4s and the rest were around 3. Even the 3 pounders will pull drag and have your rod swinging from one side of the boat to the other. We used our net A LOT!

Weirdest catch was when I was throwing an Incredi-Frog to the weed edge and got a little backlash. While I quickly cleared it, my frog sank into deeper water. Took up the slack and there was a bass!

We ended around sundown exhausted but very happy with our day. 8 hours on this lake is a lot for fishing and catching. If you need more catching with your fishing, check out Double AA Lake.

May 30 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I was having same issues with the errors. Funny yhing was I replied to my post with photos and worked.

May 31 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Love that lake! 

Jun 02 2021

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Dale Stagg

I was having same issues with the errors. Funny yhing was I replied to my post with photos and worked.

Dale and Larry, we found the root cause of your image upload issues.  Basically when loading lots of images at once the system was bogging down and timing out; we are going to add a note that the total of images being loaded at one time should be 5MB or less.  Thanks for letting us know about this!