Stephen Ford

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 28814
Property Name : Shady Grove
Reservation Date : 06/19/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 12
Lures Used : Buzz toad, swim jig with grub trailer, various soft plastics

Based on my last trip to this property, I expected the hollow-bodied frog to be productive early. I arrived around 7:00 with that plan in mind.  I was wrong.

While they did swipe at that frog, the bass were not taking it fully like they did last time. I was unable to hook up, but switching to a buzz/toad style presentation instead finally got some fish on the line with full, aggressive bites.  They wanted the faster retrieve with the other style of frog.

I also landed a few on swim jigs in the pockets between vegetation. A few hit pegged Texas-rigged plastics as well when I worked them in between the more sparse areas of lily pads.

The pattern became evident early and held true all day with all lures used. Almost all strikes came right at the edge of the vegetation lines, which on average is about 20 feet from shore. You could tell they were occupying cover in the vegetation canopy then ambushing anything that came close.  

I landed 12 total today. The average size was less than my previous trip as well. Previously the average catch was over 3lbs. I think the biggest I caught today was about 2.5, with roughly a 1lb average.

While today was not as productive as my trip on a cooler day, I still really like this unique property. It reminds me of the places I grew up fishing….just as I'm sure most PWF members did as well.  

Watching the activity on the surface today made me think this would probably be a good place for the fly fishermen. I think that is a skill I should try to learn. It could have made today a different type of experience.  I'd be interested to read future reports from those who utilize a fly rod.

Jun 21 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

my close friend fly fishes with me when we go out and I’m always astounded at how long he can keep the top water bite going throughout most of the day.  My only issue with it is that he takes up a fair amount of real estate on the boat.  the advantage seems to be I can work behind him sub surface and pick off larger fish that are interested but wouldn’t come to the top.