Beautiful Day on Butler

Jun 27 2021

Ron Dupree

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 28946
Property Name : Butler Lake
Reservation Date : 06/26/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 60 bass 12-20 inches 1 nice crappie 1 blue gill 1 huge turtle
Lures Used : plastics, Crankbait

Fellow member John Shepard and I returned to Butler 2 weeks after our 100 fish day with high expectations and were not disappointed. We arrived at 6 am and started counter clockwise on the main lake bank with frogs with very little action untill we got closer to the dam. There was an awsome shad spawn in process anywhere there was big chunk rock on the bank. That was a dead give away of where our green friends would be hanging out. We switched to weightless whacky rigged worms and bam game on. Best action was on the dam itself where the rock was prevalent. My goodness these are some of the fattest bass i have seen on any of the PWF tanks that I have been on so far. They looked prespawn they were so fat from feeding on the morning shad buffet offered to them. We went back and forth across the dam a few times until the bite slowed down. I had left some small finish nails in the truck that i stick in the big end of a stick worm to give it a little faster fall so we trolled to the truck and got them. We headed back to the dam fishing the left bank along the way and found a few bass in front of the vegetation. Bite was slower after the shad spawn but  not dead. we just kept moving from side to side of the dam throwing the lightly weighted stick worms whacky rigged a little further off the bank then we did earlier. You very rarely felt the bite but your line will take off across the lake so give it a pop and hang on. We did catch a fair number on some 3xds on the right side of the dam but the whacky rigged worm 2-4 ft off the bank worked best.

There is a huge turtle in the lake that John and I have fondly named stretch cause that dude has the longest neck i have ever seen on a turtle. i bet that dude could look into a second story window if he wanted to. I mentioned a few times to John i wonder were stretch is cause he had not popped his head up. Well I found him arount 10 am. I had switched to a dropshot just to try something different when the bite slowed, I felt a tug so I started reeling and said if this is a bass it is huge or it is a turtle and sure enough up popped stretch with my drop shot hook hanging out of his mouth. I was able to free the hook with my long needle nosed pliers and off he went not to be seen again.

Great day of fishin but we had to leave early around 2pm due to family commitment ending our day with 60 bass( 11 culls), 1 crappie, 1 blue gill and a huge turtle. Avg bass was easily 3lbs 

Water temp was 87-89, water clarity12-18 inches. 

Jun 27 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

early morning shad spawn is a gift and a curse – you can catch so many so quickly and then it just ends like the bass were never even there.  Then the rest of the day can pale in comparison.  I always feel fortunate if I find the shad spawn, but I know the clock is ticking in the back of my mind.  

I’ll have to go to Houston for business a few times this fall, maybe I’ll make a trek to one of the Houston area lakes while I’m there. 

Congrats on the super strong day!

Jun 28 2021

Ron Dupree

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

early morning shad spawn is a gift and a curse – you can catch so many so quickly and then it just ends like the bass were never even there.  Then the rest of the day can pale in comparison.  I always feel fortunate if I find the shad spawn, but I know the clock is ticking in the back of my mind.  

I’ll have to go to Houston for business a few times this fall, maybe I’ll make a trek to one of the Houston area lakes while I’m there. 

Congrats on the super strong day!

Thanks, this is definately one for your bucket list. 

Just a word of caution, the boat ramp is excellant for launching my 20 ft fiberglass boat but if it has rained a lot beware of the area in front of the ramp. Could be tricky w/o 4 wheel drive. 

Jun 28 2021

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Ron Dupree

Thanks, this is definately one for your bucket list. 

Just a word of caution, the boat ramp is excellant for launching my 20 ft fiberglass boat but if it has rained a lot beware of the area in front of the ramp. Could be tricky w/o 4 wheel drive. 

I concur, when launching a 20 ft fiberglass boat I would defaintely have 4 WD. 2 WD drive and big boats are not a good combo. 4WD is such a game changer, I had two wheel drive my first two years as a member and got stuck twice. I bought 4WD twenty years ago and would never be without it.