Hickory Creek Ranch Half Day

Jul 02 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29078
Property Name : Hickory Creek Ranch Lakes
Reservation Date : 07/01/2021 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 9 (8 Bass and One Bluegill) / 2.5 lbs was largest.
Lures Used : Square Bill, Epic Baits Swimjig, Epic Baits Creature with Skirt, Epic Baits, 5" Worm

I made the 160 mile drive to Hickory Creek Ranch Lake for an afternoon fishing expedition. This was my first time here so needed to figure out where to start. I only fished the big lake and I started around the Island first and got a lot of perch bites on my Watermelon/Luner Dust Worm with limited sucess. I ended up catching my first fish under the bridge using this worm.

This porperty is beautiful and is a scenic fishing lake. Didn’t get the oportunity to meet the owner but I sure enjoyed the families property. Thanks for offering this lake for us to visit and their home is just as beautiful.

I moved to the cove across from the ramp area and had no sucess. Lots of grass in the very shallow area, so started there with a Hollow Popping Frog and switched to a Hollow Frog with absolutely no sucess so tried worm again and again, nothing.

I moved around and got no hits at all and switched to an Epic Baits Salt and Pepper Worm and got a few hits. I decided to go back to the island area and caught several there and again, more under the bridge in the shade of the bridge. 

The water temperature was an average of 95-96 degrees and felt very warm to the touch also. It was a hot and sunny day and very little breeze making it hot to fish. I have a fan on my kayak, so kept a small breeze using the fan to fish all afternoon and evening and it really helped.

I ended up with 9 fish total which included one bluegill  perch. 3 bass were returned and 5 bass were harvested. 2 bass were over 2 lbs and the rest were near 14-16 inches with several much smaller that were culled.

This  was a slow day of fishing for sure and only made it worse in the Texas heat of July.

I took some video, but had a lot of issues with my camera cutting out on me and not sure why yet, but will try to post if I got enough for a video review.

Jul 03 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Here is a YouTube video of my trip to Hickory Creek. I had camera issues, but was able to get some video of the afternoon trip of fishing. Enjoy!

Jul 03 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Dale Stagg

Here is a YouTube video of my trip to Hickory Creek. I had camera issues, but was able to get some video of the afternoon trip of fishing. Enjoy!

I want to get started recording some of my fishing – what would you recommend as resources to get started, basic equipment, etc. Dale?

Jul 03 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

I want to get started recording some of my fishing – what would you recommend as resources to get started, basic equipment, etc. Dale?

I use a GoPro Max which is a 360 camera which allows you to record in 360 and use editing to pan the camera around making it look like you have a cameraman with you. I used 3 GoPro cameras in the padt to get extra views but the 360 is easier to shoot and edit. Batteries do not last long so need to keep he cameras charging the entire time. I use a YOLOtec pole to mount it tomy kayak andhas built in power supply. 

Jul 03 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Dale Stagg

I use a GoPro Max which is a 360 camera which allows you to record in 360 and use editing to pan the camera around making it look like you have a cameraman with you. I used 3 GoPro cameras in the padt to get extra views but the 360 is easier to shoot and edit. Batteries do not last long so need to keep he cameras charging the entire time. I use a YOLOtec pole to mount it tomy kayak andhas built in power supply. 

Appreciate the info – look forward to your next one.