Jul 05 2021

John Daniels

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29059
Property Name : Malouf Lake
Reservation Date : 07/04/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 32 largest 2.5 lbs
Lures Used : Senkos, swim jigs, t rigs ribbon tail, top water frogs, various crank baits

We arrived at about 6AM.  I was excited to see that Malouf has a gravel road all the way to the ramp and the turnaround at the top of the ramp.  Its well done and looks nice.  Weather was mild in the morning with less than a 1 mph wind until about 1 PM when the temperaure reach mid 90s but thankfully the wind  pick up about then.  I caught a bass from the dirt embankment to the right of the ramp with a black topwater frog.  The majority of the bass were caught on wacky rigged senkos.  We used a wide variety of lures trying to target bass.  The lake is topped out on 40% of the lake.  We targeted holes in the grass beds and the edges some.  The timber produced the best and one area on the west side near the deadfalls.  We also caught a few along the dam.  None were caught in the Northeast corner, east side or the south end.  The south end is topped out and thick with vegetation and was not worth the effort of having to clear the trolling motor shaft every 20 yards. Most of the bass were in the 1 lb range with three bass being in the 2 lb range. The heat and low activity ran us off about 4 PM.  Although we caught 39 for the day the fishing felt like a little bit of a grind. Maybe because ninety percent of the bass were caught before 9:00 AM. 

My highlights of the day were that I caught a red eye bass (picture below unfortunatley you cannot see the red eyes in the picture) on a baby bass colored wacky rig near the overflow.  I also caught a bass on my fathers wooden red-white Wounded Creek King from the 70s offshore between the timber and the dam.  Still works nearly 50 years later.    That was really cool for me. 

There was a event on the east side of the lake.  We could not see them but we could easily hear the announcer.   He only spoke Spanish.  I am not sure what the event was but I think he said, “Brad Wemhoener es un pescador malo”  more than once.    I could be wrong though. LOL

Have a happy and safe Independence Day everyone.

John

Jul 06 2021

Brad Wemhoener

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Maybe my Spanish is rusty, but I think you mis-translated “fishslayer”.

Malouf always produces, but I was surprised by the limited shore access due to the heavy, thick grass.

Thanks for the invite again, John. 

Jul 07 2021

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the great report. I always enjoy going there. I laughed at your photo of the lures on the power lines. I saw that too. Fortunately none of those are mine. LOL