Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29110
Property Name : Double A Lake
Reservation Date : 07/08/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 11 up to 6.3lbs
Lures Used : Jerkbait/TRIG

1. Two sessions – 9am-12:30pm, 6:30pm-8:30pm;  Got there late as usual work stuff had to be tended to for which Joe admonished me – he just wants us to do well out there and getting there earlier would definitely help but I can’t always make that happen. Hopefully next time.  Never met a nicer guy and he’s built a fantastic lake the right way. 
  2. There is forage everywhere.  The weed canpoy breaks at the best possible place depth and there is so much structure to work.  I’m fascinated by it b/c my home lake is all brushpiles in a 100 year old bowl of a lake with no weeds to speak of. Great lake but it sure is nice to fish something different like this. 
  3. Water was 77 in the am, 87 by midday, 85 by evening – visiblity to 1.5/2feet, usual light green stain with clearer water in the weeds. High sun. 
  4. I focused almost all my attention on offshore schools which were popping throughout the day.  Felt like chasing redfish schools when I lived in Houston. 
  5. I observed three main schools wokring their way through the lake.  Very little activity in the weeds for some reason, blow up here and there but nothing as active as the main lake (last time it was the complete opposite).  
  6. The schools blow for about 45 sec to 1 min and the bass move off the spot very quickly.  I was able to identify the underlying structure that the bait was hanging on this time.  Working on a map.  I didn’t get alot of pictures today, as I was taking shots of where I caught the fish and then readying my next cast for when the next blowups happen.  I’ll post them later once my phone syncs. 
  7. I used a frog a bit and got a few blowups but nothing solid hookup wise with the density fo the weed mats. I tried to work the weedline  by punching, but with so much activity, it was hard to keep my attention to work as methodically as you needed to for that to be successful.  
  8. One of the schools is of much larger fish – 4-7lbs fish chasing the very large baitballs of shad. They were really keyed in on the threadfin – larger cranks/swimbaits/spinners weren’t looked at – had to be smaller profile baits (I went with a white jerkbait) or dropping a lightweight trig fluke into them.   
  9. I need to figure out the optimal colors to use at AA.  I hooked a few fish outside the mouth but when I switched jerkbait colors they would touch it.  I picked up a few dead shad and I have a number of really close matches.  I think maybe the visibility isn’t high so  the white helps them see it but the flash of a chrome puts them off and the natural colors don’t get seen as well.  I have a painted spinner blade I want to try next time.  The redear/bluegill aren’t dark in that lake either, so I’ll have to keep thinking on it.
  10. The boat itself doesn’t seem to make them wary but the sounds of the boat do – trolling motor or the clang of the metal in the jonboat. I may bring a blanket to cover the boat next time. 
  11. The fingerlings from this years spawn are growing well.  We are growing some titan bass fingerlings in a brood pond on my home lake in optimal conditions and the bass at AA look to be holding pace.  I was somewhat worried about this years spawn being so close to the sunfish spawn (with the freeze then rapid warm up) and how that interaction would affect things, but doesn’t seem to have hurt.
  12. I realize that I could have caught more methodically working the weedline, but was enamored with the offshore structure/schools of fish.  There is a fair amount of down time involved and timing, but it was really fun.  I do wish I could have timed my casts a bit better and used a magnum spoon to get to the even bigger fish underneath.  

Jul 09 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Also, this will be my last trip for a bit unless I can squeeze something in.  Wife is in trial and tax season (what I do) is about to start.  We will see. 

Jul 10 2021

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Great report, Joshua. We had fun there chasing the big schooling bass. I haven’t see that on any other PWF lake. Looking forward to fishing there again!

Jul 11 2021

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Joshua,

Impressive report. You are a true student of bass fishing.

Joe, the owner, has likely spent more money per acre of water than any lake in the club. He is committed to growing some really big bass. I think the amount of forage we have added has slowed the bite as they simply have a ton to eat. We added 200 pounds of Golden Shinners in March, 200 lbs of Tilapia in late April, and 14,000 threadfin shad in late May. The lake has also had nearly 3 tons of fertilizer added to stimulate plankton bloom. Thjs represents close to $10,000 worth of improvements to the water. This does not include the cost of the rock ramp and improved road. We are grateful to Joe and his committement. 

Where did you buy your Titan Bass? 

Steve

Jul 11 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Joshua,

Impressive report. You are a true student of bass fishing.

Joe, the owner, has likely spent more money per acre of water than any lake in the club. He is committed to growing some really big bass. I think the amount of forage we have added has slowed the bite as they simply have a ton to eat. We added 200 pounds of Golden Shinners in March, 200 lbs of Tilapia in late April, and 14,000 threadfin shad in late May. The lake has also had nearly 3 tons of fertilizer added to stimulate plankton bloom. Thjs represents close to $10,000 worth of improvements to the water. This does not include the cost of the rock ramp and improved road. We are grateful to Joe and his committement. 

Where did you buy your Titan Bass? 

Steve

Titan Bass are from Red Hills Fishery http://redhillsfishery.com/ – we have mostly FL bass on our home lake, likley with some F3-F7 generations that don’t seem particularly aggressive, so we are trying to make the bass more aggressive with these Titan Bass to see if it makes them more catchable.  We have comparable fishing pressure to a number of the PWF lakes per acre/person

Similar situation to AA – we have tons and tons of forage (threadfin, Tliapia, bluegills, redear, etc) and some really big FL bass (we took alot of bass from Camelot Bell over the past 5-7 years), but the thing with big FL’s is that they are super smart and the bigger they get, the more lure shy they get, I personally (observation mostly) think the Bell fish are much tougher to catch.  Red Hills claims they have made FL bass more ‘catchable’.  I have no idea whether it is true or not, but in 2-3 years we should know.  

I’ll put it this way – before we introduced the Camelot Bell fish to our lake, I had 100 fish days (rare, but it happened, but 30-40 fish days in the spring were super common).  7-8 years later – If I can get 10, I feel like I had a good/great day.  Those ten are all 3+lbs, which is great, but I feel like there is a middle ground.  It is the reason why I joined PWF – some days I just want to bring my daughter or a cllient to a place where we can catch a bunch of fish

I think Joe will have a class of 12lb+ by the end of 2023 – his commitment will pay off and that lake is awesome.

Jul 11 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Titan Bass are from Red Hills Fishery http://redhillsfishery.com/ – we have mostly FL bass on our home lake, likley with some F3-F7 generations that don’t seem particularly aggressive, so we are trying to make the bass more aggressive with these Titan Bass to see if it makes them more catchable.  We have comparable fishing pressure to a number of the PWF lakes per acre/person

Similar situation to AA – we have tons and tons of forage (threadfin, Tliapia, bluegills, redear, etc) and some really big FL bass (we took alot of bass from Camelot Bell over the past 5-7 years), but the thing with big FL’s is that they are super smart and the bigger they get, the more lure shy they get, I personally (observation mostly) think the Bell fish are much tougher to catch.  Red Hills claims they have made FL bass more ‘catchable’.  I have no idea whether it is true or not, but in 2-3 years we should know.  

I’ll put it this way – before we introduced the Camelot Bell fish to our lake, I had 100 fish days (rare, but it happened, but 30-40 fish days in the spring were super common).  7-8 years later – If I can get 10, I feel like I had a good/great day.  Those ten are all 3+lbs, which is great, but I feel like there is a middle ground.  It is the reason why I joined PWF – some days I just want to bring my daughter or a cllient to a place where we can catch a bunch of fish

I think Joe will have a class of 12lb+ by the end of 2023 – his commitment will pay off and that lake is awesome.

https://www.titanbass.com/ sorry, wrong link. 

Jul 15 2021

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Joshua,

I like your attention to detail. 12 bullet points, are you a minister? LOL, if so you have about 8 bullet points too many………….seriously it is very easy to review your post layed out like this.

I have had experience with the Bell Bass as well and your right the bigger and older they get the smarter they get. They can be caught but the moon, stars and wall street all have to line up perfectly to get them to hit. Not sure if they are really so smart or just lazy………..anyway PWF has so many lake options it is sometimes hard to make a decision on where the next trip needs to be.

I love the schooling bass and site casting, it only happens about 2 out of every 10 trips or so. My brother and I fished the Waelder lake when it came on board with the club and it was that kind of action all day. Love them telling off on themselves and throwing into the middle of the frenzy. It is an adrenaline rush and makes you do very bad things like……………...go buy a new boat, more new rods, more new reels, too much artificial bait, more gear, more gear and more gear. Man I am talking myself into wanting to set the hook right now. You see what I mean…………..?

Jul 15 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Wayne Pruitt

Joshua,

I like your attention to detail. 12 bullet points, are you a minister? LOL, if so you have about 8 bullet points too many………….seriously it is very easy to review your post layed out like this.

I have had experience with the Bell Bass as well and your right the bigger and older they get the smarter they get. They can be caught but the moon, stars and wall street all have to line up perfectly to get them to hit. Not sure if they are really so smart or just lazy………..anyway PWF has so many lake options it is sometimes hard to make a decision on where the next trip needs to be.

I love the schooling bass and site casting, it only happens about 2 out of every 10 trips or so. My brother and I fished the Waelder lake when it came on board with the club and it was that kind of action all day. Love them telling off on themselves and throwing into the middle of the frenzy. It is an adrenaline rush and makes you do very bad things like……………...go buy a new boat, more new rods, more new reels, too much artificial bait, more gear, more gear and more gear. Man I am talking myself into wanting to set the hook right now. You see what I mean…………..?

My goal is to provide insight into what I’m seeing (along with information for the owners) – re: the former, hopefully with one of the other members telling me I’m wrong or something that I can use for next time – “do it this way, not that way”, etc.  I have alot to learn, I’ve fished all my life, but not really the ‘right way’ until the last couple of years.  Some of you fine gents have a lifetime of experience and fish under your belt – if I can get some of that knowledge over the long run, that would be pretty cool. 

Not a minister! – lawyer by trade!

And yes, I know exactly what you mean – my garage is well on its way as a substitute for tackle warehouse and I just got one of those ultraskiffs for PWF (my boat pretty much has to stay at my club lake or I have to let it set for 10 days when I bring it back for zebra mussel prevention).