Pruitt Brothers @ Butler Lake

Jul 14 2021

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Phil & I fished Butler Lake in Brenham on Saturday July 1st. I apologize for the late post. This would be our 3rd appearance at Butler. I am slowing down a minute to get this posted and archived. We started very early before the crack of dawn. Phil caught a 5 ½ right off the bat (see poor quality photo attached provided by Phil). Way to go brother, lets top that. We fished until 2 PM and 4 ½ pounds was the closest we could get to it. We ended up with 60 fish all LMB released to fight again.

Very hot with very little ripple on the surface. Water temperature was a blistering 94 degrees. Ice tea colored water. the concrete ramp sure makes it convenient launching boats and kayaks

Grilled ribeye steaks and bbq beans extra bacon. Yum…………….

We met the owner and he showed us a picture of an 8 ½ pounder his friend caught recently on a scum frog. That fish was impressive looking. I am not patient enough to fish dragging a scum frog on solid vegetation for very long. These baits have a very low percentage hook up ratio for me. Maybe 3 hookups out of 10ish. Members, please reply to this post if you have a high percentage bait that you have great confidence in. I will give it a try next time. This lake is going to have to be fished this way with vegetation taking over the entire lake perimeter.

We met Stretch! Lochness! Man, that turtle has the longest neck I have seen. Not use to seeing a 1 foot turtle neck pop up next to the boat like that……………

Jul 14 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Someone recommended to me (after I said I hate fishing frogs) to put a trailer hook on the it, otherwise, punching seems to work, though I am admittedly really bad at it, and don’t like doing it particularly.  

Jul 15 2021

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Wayne, 

Have you tried Zoom Horny Toads?  I use them with a small weighted swim bait hook and swim them across the surface.  The hook and body seems to have a little more weight to them than the hollow body frogs and don't get knocked in the air as much.  You still have let them take it under before you drop the hammer but my hook up ratios seem higher with the toads vs the frogs.  Appreciate your reports as always. 

Jul 15 2021

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Someone recommended to me (after I said I hate fishing frogs) to put a trailer hook on the it, otherwise, punching seems to work, though I am admittedly really bad at it, and don’t like doing it particularly.  

Have not tried trailer hooks, just thinking it would have to be a weedless hook with all of the vegatation. The scum frogs have the hooks on top so not sure that would work. Send a photo of how you rig it up. Thanks for the response and recommendation.

Jul 15 2021

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Chris Haller

Wayne, 

Have you tried Zoom Horny Toads?  I use them with a small weighted swim bait hook and swim them across the surface.  The hook and body seems to have a little more weight to them than the hollow body frogs and don't get knocked in the air as much.  You still have let them take it under before you drop the hammer but my hook up ratios seem higher with the toads vs the frogs.  Appreciate your reports as always. 

Yes, the are better than scum frogs in my opinion. A 4 or 5 wide gap hook with a weedless trailer is probably the way to go. I love the blow ups but hate pulling in an empty pile of salad fishing this way………………..LOL