Aug 02 2021

Greg Wadley

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29348
Property Name : Double A Lake
Reservation Date : 08/02/2021 All Day - 08/02/2021 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 0
Lures Used : swim bait (t-rigged and underspin), chatter bait, crank, shallow crank, wacky, drop shot

woke at 5AM and it was raining over AA so went back to bed and got up at 8:00. Made it to AA by 10:00 and the rain was lettling up so thinking cool, nice overcast day to fish in August. My buddy was supposed to come and bring his boat but he had to cancel last minute so I hadn’t picked mine up at the marina so figure I’ll just use the jon boat. The jon boat is a nice one and easy to fish out of. There were a few busting shad on the east side so I trolled over there but they wouldn’t hit anything. Shad didn’t look too big so threw a 5” swim bait, 1.5 2.25” shad crank, shallow crank where the beak goes straight down, and chatter bait. No takers. Then the skies open up and I troll over to the launch and get in the car to wait it out. Rains like God thinks I’m Noah or something for 30 minutes. 

I didn’t bring anything to bail, so had to pull everthing out of the boat and tip it over to get the water out. 2nd time I throw swim bait again with no takers. Then tried weighted wacky and drop shot deeper along grass lines but without electronics it’s really hard to know where the fish are. Got one bite on a drop shot, then the rains come again. Absolute soaker. Wait it out, dump jon boat, rinse and repeat. This time try a deeper crank and c-rig. I was hoping to find some rock as this is a quary out deeper in 25’ or so, but bottom is soft where I tried. And for the 3rd time God thinks I’m Noah and the skies open up. At this point I’m done. Throw all my crap in the trunk and head home at 3:30. Maybe if you fished early or late as I’d planned you could find fish shallow. Mid day they must be deep. Really thought I’d find fish at the grass line with a drop shot or wacky. I’ve never been blanked at a private lake. But as this is a quary lake if the fish are deeper it’s really hard to know what structure or humps they are relating to without electronics. Water felt warm like 90 so not surprised they were deeper. What was surprising was not getting bit in 10 fow at the grass line. or by these loan bass that break chad for 20 seconds and then disappear. 

It’s feast or fammin I suppose. Last lake in Alvarado I fished I caught 75 (yea, I’m not kidding) but 55 were dinks. Went through 4 packs of swim baits to find 20 2lbers and nothing very big. I was hoping for much lower numbers but some decent 4-6lbers at AA. But I don’t think I’d try AA again without bringing my boat with decent graphs. Missed my spot lock too but the anchor I brought worked pretty well. Sorry I don’t have a better report. Rains didn’t help that’s for sure. 

Aug 02 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Brutal, better days ahead Greg.