Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29386
Property Name : Pecan Gap
Reservation Date : 08/08/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 10 to 1lb-4lbs, 1 good sized Crappie
Lures Used : Variety

Fished Pecan Gap hard on Sunday all day. Here you go:

1. This is my 4th time fishing the lake IIRC.  I have a complete map of the bottom structure at this point and know where every hump and nook and stump and hole is for the most part. 
  2. It was relatively chilly when I got there – water was 79-80 to start, gradually warming to 86 by the end of the day.  There was a steady south wind between 10-20 which I had hoped would invigorate the fish, but I was incorrect.  Visibility was lower than last time and the wind seemed to shake quite a bit of of the dying milfoil loose throughout the lake.  
  3. There was alot of good grass the other week when I fished but it has either been sprayed or started to die for whatever reason.  There is still good grass in various parts but the entire weedline from the west, north, and east banks has receded to the shoreline with only a few patches remaining here and there. 
  4. I arrived early and managed 2 on top, which is unusual for this lake for me.   One in the very back in the shallows and one near a stump. I recall maybe 2 bass breaking the top throughout the day.  
  5. Normally I have a hard time keep the bluegill off my lures – they were not active yesterday and that wasn’t a problem, but I felt it was a sign of the sluggish fish generally in the lake
  6. My most successful lures were large presentations – jig/worm with purple in it – the purple seemed to be the best trigger – 1 each on a spook/magdraft, and a few on a jerkbait (that also had a purple tinge).  I rolled a spinnerbait/rattletrap (my go to in 15mph+ windy conditions) but no takers. 1 decent crappie on a jerkbait near a tree. 
  7. My take – the water had mixed quite a bit with the wind – not a ‘turnover’ per se, but the mid and top layers mixing along with decaying vegetation had lowered the dissolved oxygen making the fish sluggish, especially the big ones (who tend to be more slow when this happens). 
  8. Spoke with the owner (Craig I believe) who indicated he planned to be out there alot more as he has retired. He had also repaired the seat that I broke last time.  
  9. Overall while the bite was sluggish, I was happy that I made some adjustments that led to me boating more fish that I otherwise would have if I were presented with the same set of circumstances a couple of years ago. 
  10. If I had to make one more adjustment it would be to try and throw a wacky rig to isloated stumps in the shallows in the back more and maybe spend a bit more time in that area with the water being colder than normal and the grass being relatively intact there.  I should have made this adjustment the last half of the trip as I didn’t catch anything the last 3 hours.  
  11. There was a massive wreck while I was getting ice at the gas station around noon.  Two completely totaled cars, one of which careened into the tractor dealer fence and equipment on the north side of 82.  I was really shaken up as I saw it from the pump and could smell the wreck in the air.  Just awful.  Emergency vehicles responded quickly – and hope no lives were lost.  May the Lord be with them.