Aug 09 2021

Alex Elrod

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29420
Property Name : Five Finger Springs
Reservation Date : 08/08/2021 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 6 total, 4 at 2LBs+, 2 dinks culled
Lures Used : Everything but the kitchen sink!

It ain’t a lie to say this is such a beautiful, and unique property. First time out on Five Fingers lake and absolutely loved the solitude and unique spots around every single corner. It’s no joke when it says it fishes much bigger than the actual lake size – you can spend a lot of team in each area trying different lures/techniques to find what they’re looking to bite.

I launched my kayak at 6:30a and fished until noon or so – at that point it was so windy that it was pretty difficult to fight it but the majority of the day was great getting around the lake. It wasn’t too hot until midday when the bite really fell off. I’ve never fished a lake with so many unique spots – lily pads, the massive submerged rocks, semi submerged trees, open water, little islands, etc. Such a cool property!

The fishing was hit or miss. I threw everything but the kitchen sink at them (worms, craws, swim jigs, spinner bait, lipless crank, blue gill swim jigs) and couldn’t really find a pattern. I’m sure it’s just my novice fishing skills but the only thing that was really successful for me were craws on an underspin hook. These were all caught near what seemed to be middle, deeper parts of the lake – imagine the fish are ‘deep’ to stay out of the sun/warm pockets of the water. There were a couple areas that the frogs got them jumping but only in a couple limited areas right near the banks. I did miss a couple LMB that I saw and or chased my lure to the kayak and they were pretty big – my guess would be 3.5-4LBs but they only seemed to be chasing and not biting – bummer.

Of the fish that I caught they were a couple tiny dinks that chased orange Texas rigged worms, or the few long but very skinny framed bass on the craws. I also saw a ton of the bluegill which looked huge – I didn’t try to pitch small bait to catch them but I bet they’d be a blast for folks looking to flyfish! Visibility was beautiful throughout, especially through polarized glasses.

Overall a slow day but a beautiful place with wonderful solitude on the kayak! I plan to return once we get closer to the fall to see if maybe it was just the heat that made it such a slow day for me.

Aug 09 2021

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Yes. This is one of the most unique cool lakes in the club.