Aug 15 2021

Greg Wadley

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29459
Property Name : Triple J Ranch
Reservation Date : 08/14/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 18 LMB/13 above slit
Lures Used : Morning they hit anything chartreuse (crank, Z-man, t-rig chartreuse pepper). Evening liked dark sinkos

Caught 13 over the slot. All between 2.5 and 3.5. Most 3ish but I only weighed one. Healthy fish. I had one on that was larger. Bout ripped the pole out of my hand. She wrapped around a root in 10 fow and I just couldn’t get her untangled. Tried for 10 minutes and finally just broke the line off so that hopefuly the fish could get free and spit the hook. 

In the morning, I couldn’t get a bite the first hour trying a black frog, plopper, and swim bait. I remember someone said chartreue so I moved to a chartreue crank, chartreuse/white Z-mann chatter bait, and chartreue/pepper sinko. All worked. Caught 7 over the slot and a few dinks which I rememoved and then then the rains came and I went home. Went back about 5:30 and fished to dark. The stuff that worked in the AM didn’t get bit. I switched to a dark senko both t-rigged and wacky and started getting bit again. I got blown up on the wacky 2-3x. All in all a productive day for my first time.

This lake is really different than most small lakes. Very little grass and black mud bottom. I’m so used to fishing swim baits on ranch lakes over grass,, took me a bit to get the lay of the land. Bass really related to wood here. There were bass hitting the surface both early and late, but I coul;dn;t get them to bite. Think they were chasing very small shad. I treid a 2.25” stub nosed top water crank with a rattle but that didn’t get bit either. Not sure how to catch those surface feeders. Next time I’ll try a small jerk bait.