Alex Elrod

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29607
Property Name : JerMar Lake
Reservation Date : 08/29/2021 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 10+ Bass
Lures Used : Frogs and Worms

First time at JerMar and definitely won’t be the last! This will definitely be a spot to visit once the cooler temperatures hit – I think the bite will explode then.

Bank fishing is definitely possible but with what looks like a slightly lower level it’s extremely muddy and there’s a thick grass bed and cattails around 90% of the lake. If you don’t mind getting a bit muddy the bank fishing isn’t too bad. You’ll have to do some far casting to get into the water where the vegetation drops off. However, I took the boat approach and had a blast! I got on the main big lake at 3:30 or so and fished until sunset. I thought it would be a good day since it was ‘only’ 87 degrees when I got on the water. Bright blue skies with puffy white clouds and a few storm clouds mixed in. Great day to be on the water, in my opinion.

Of all the fish I caught I only caught (1) bass on a worm and it was the smallest of the day. Everything I caught was well above limit – easily the healthiest spread of fish I have caught in my young PWF career. There are a ton of long shallow sections on either side of the lake that are accompanied by vegetation. Normally I’d be worried by this but they were all stacked inbetween the grass and the shoreline. Because of this I exclusively threw one of my 2.25” Lunkerhunt frogs and they were obsessed – absolutely destroying the frog. Normally i’d hate to show off my loss of fish but the blow ups were so fun. Every LMB I caught was north of 2.5lbs and looked very healthy. Biggest of the day was just over 3lbs. Extremely aggressive bass. Fortunately I had a Heavy rod and braid to drag some of them back out after they dove in the grass.

As the sun was setting I got off the main lake and went to the tiny pond at the tip of the lake and was greeted with 3 very active LMB on the frog once again. I didn’t get a chance to try out the lake ‘closest’ to the gate but will next go around.

I probably missed 10 fish or so but the blow ups were worth the price of admission. I lost 3 fish as they raced into the grass and spit the frog. I probably saw 20 or so very large bass in the shallow areas that saw me before I could pitch near them and raced off into the grass.

Overall this lake was really exciting so I can’t imagine how much more fun the fall bite will be!

Sep 02 2021

Brad Wemhoener

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Alex, 

Glad you had a great trip at JerMar. I have found that it produces year round. It’s my go-to lake when I can get away from work last minute and get a couple hours in fishing.

If you’re ever looking for a partner out there, let me know and I’d be happy to join you. 

Brad