Slayed them in the Slayer

Sep 06 2021

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29662
Property Name : Five Finger Springs
Reservation Date : 09/05/2021 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 15 bass; 3lbs (1), 2lbs (3)
Lures Used : Spook, Fluke, Spinner, Jig, Chatterbait, Senko

Took the Native Slayer out for the maiden voyage and Five Finger Springs didn't disappoint.  Easy to find property, really scenic terrain and had the feeling of remoteness as it is pretty tucked away.  

I launched the kayak from the concrete boat ramp right at sunrise and the ramp area was thick with healthy grass.  It was totally managable to paddle through and I was ready to do some “frogging”.  After missing a couple blow-ups on the frog I switched to a Spook and immediately hooked into a healthy bass sitting right next to a grass mat.  I now understand the other reviews that mention a 10 acre lake that fishes like 30.  I spent the first 2 hours within striking distance of the ramp and had a hard time leaving because not only is there a lot of shoreline, but there was a lot of weeds and some lay downs that needed to be worked.   The water was really clear with at least 4ft of visibility and some sections I could easily see bottom at 6ft.  The bass wouldn’t touch anything shiny or fast so I gave up on the spinner and chatterbait and went to the fluke.  Slow working a weightless fluke worked out well and caught several back-to-back close to the bank.  

Things slowed around 9:30 and I had some success with a 3/8oz jig working it through one of the narrow channels.  I later switched to a weightless Senko and had much better luck.  I focused on isolated grass flats in deeper water and slowly picked them apart from all angles and usually caught 1 at each mat.  

I only booked a ½ day and could have used a couple more hours because I never made it to the other end and hate leaving an area unscouted.  I peddled back to the concreate ramp and picked up 2 more with a Senko, again next to some grass mats, and called it a day.    Definately a lake I will go back to and hit before all the grass & cover dies off.  

Sep 06 2021

Charles McCallum

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Nice work Mike!

Did you have Slayer playing while you slayed em in your slayer?

Sep 06 2021

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Charles McCallum

Nice work Mike!

Did you have Slayer playing while you slayed em in your slayer?

Ha, that would be the trifecta.