Jason Owens

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29673
Property Name : Hill Country Ranch
Reservation Date : 09/18/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 40+ up to 5-15.
Lures Used : Popper, swim bait/underspin

My son and I both have a birthday at the end of this month, so we decided to make a quick weekend trip to the hill country to celebrate.  We fished Hill Country Ranch on Saturday 9-18.  We were on the water around 7:30 am.  I caught a couple real quick on a Texas rigged worm, but not much else on the t-rig for the next half hour.  We were seeing plenty of dragon flies and bass jumping clean out of the water trying to catch them, so we decided to switch to poppers.  Popper action was steady for several hours.  My son caught a 5-5 and a 5-15 on poppers.  After lunch the popper action slowed down some, but never fully died.  But I did manage to catch several on a 3.75” swim bait/underspin, including a 4-13.  I lost count on how many fish we caught but I know it was over 40 and 25 were under 14”.  In addition to the 3 larger fish already mentioned we had another 3 fish between 3 and 4 lbs but we didn't get exact weights on them.  We were off the water about 2:30 pm.  

If you haven’t been to those hill country lakes you need to check them out.  The fishing is usually good and you can't beat the views.  Not to mention there's all sorts of fun stuff to do and good food in the surrounding towns.  Bandera, Kerrville and Fredericksburg.  

On a side note, I seem to be in a bit of a big fish funk.  I've had plenty of good outings and plenty of fish over 5lbs.  But I haven't caught anything over 6 in about a year and a half.  I plan on making another PWF road trip in mid December.  If anyone had any lake suggestions that can break my big fish dry spell, I'm all ears.  

Sep 20 2021

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Jason. Thanks for the report since I have scheduled Tarpley for this Thursday. If you are available, would you like to partner?  I fish from a motorized kayak so the on site boat is available. 

Give me a call at 2103837044 or email at wfetech@hotmail.com

Bill

Sep 20 2021

Jason Owens

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By William Fetech

Jason. Thanks for the report since I have scheduled Tarpley for this Thursday. If you are available, would you like to partner?  I fish from a motorized kayak so the on site boat is available. 

Give me a call at 2103837044 or email at wfetech@hotmail.com

Bill

Unfortunately I live in Odessa, so I'm not nearby.  But we do fish the San Antonio Area lakes more than any of the others because it's an easy weekend trip for us.  I will let you know next time we are in the area.  

It's going to be a little cooler on Thursday than what we experienced, but keep an eye out for those dragon flies, if they are around make sure to throw the popper or some other small top water.  It was a lot of fun.  Let me know how it turns out.

Sep 20 2021

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Jason Owens

Unfortunately I live in Odessa, so I'm not nearby.  But we do fish the San Antonio Area lakes more than any of the others because it's an easy weekend trip for us.  I will let you know next time we are in the area.  

It's going to be a little cooler on Thursday than what we experienced, but keep an eye out for those dragon flies, if they are around make sure to throw the popper or some other small top water.  It was a lot of fun.  Let me know how it turns out.

Jason. Thanks for the pointer. Let me know the next time you are in the area. 

Bill