Charles McCallum

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29640
Property Name : Double A Lake
Reservation Date : 09/25/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 16 largest 3lb 14oz
Lures Used : Drop shot & Alabama rig

Fellow member,Mike Nicoloff, and I made our first trip out to Double A ranch.  Hit water at sunrise with water temps at 76 and calm slick surface.

Commited the first hour to topwater and it was non existent.  There wasn't even surface activity most of the morning.  We worked the weed edge as well as the huge point that runs through the middle of the lake. We tried walking baits, frogs, wake baits with no luck.

Moved to mid column baits with swimbaits, chatter baits and medium cranks and still no takers.  We noticed quite a few dead shad on the surface and as with previous reports we'd see a blow up here and there. 

Moved to bottom contact as the sun was fully up with zero cloud coverage. Tried jigs, T rig, and deep cranks.  There is a ridge that runs from the north bank towards the south that is 12-14 ft with 30 ft water on either side(see map below). We anchored and worked our baits up the slope. Finally subcumbed to not catching and pulled out the trusty drop shot with a 7” Roboworm in morning dawn red flake.  We could see the fish 1-2 ft off the bottom so left an 18” leader from hook to weight. That did the trick and slowly started picking up a few, though smaller.  

The biggest fish of the day came this same way, in fact as I was working the bait back  I could've sworn I was snagged on the bottom, we pulled anchor and started moving to retrieve it when it started pulling back. I could've sworn I had a 5-6 lber on the line the way it fought, in fact even the small 2 lbers fought hard, reminded me of the bass at deer trail. 

With the bass busting shad I decided to throw an Alabama rig to try and simulate a school of shad and hooked up with 2 this way but one, which we got a good look at and looked big, got off.

All the fish seem super fat, in fact their mouths look way too small for their bodies. They must be gorging on shad all day, we even saw wounded shad swimming at the surface and the bass couldn't be bothered to pick them up.

We met Joe the owner during our brief lunch break and he was giving us the history of the property and wanted to make sure we were having a good time.

It was a bit of a grind but it was fun using the electronics to try and figure out what could be seen from old satellite images. We were off the water by 4pm.

Sep 26 2021

Scott Wheeler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Thank You For The Detailed Report, I’ll Be On Double A Next Saturday
October 2nd.
Take Care & Stay Fishing My Friend.

Sep 26 2021

Charles McCallum

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Scott Wheeler

Thank You For The Detailed Report, I’ll Be On Double A Next Saturday
October 2nd.
Take Care & Stay Fishing My Friend.

Scott,

Sure thing. I forgot to mention that we did try to punch some of the mats but only saw a bunch of carp up in there. I think there were some smaller ones cruising the weed line but it seemed the bigger ones were out in deeper water.  Hope you have better luck then we did.

Sep 26 2021

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Yeah it was a grind but really nice property and really nice meeting Joe. Charles was kind enough to leave out the fact that I didn't catch a fish until early afternoon and the roboworm saved me from the the “skunk of shame”.  

Sep 29 2021

Glen Armstrong

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Congratsulations on a good day. I was interested in the contour map you shared. Did your fish finder produce this image? What brand and model do you use? I am interested in a fish finder for my kayak and this technology would obviously be very helpful. Thank you

Sep 29 2021

Charles McCallum

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Glen Armstrong

Congratsulations on a good day. I was interested in the contour map you shared. Did your fish finder produce this image? What brand and model do you use? I am interested in a fish finder for my kayak and this technology would obviously be very helpful. Thank you

Glen,

I use the lowrance Elite FS7 w/ 3in1 transducer. I set the map to enable genesis live which will map the contours in the background and store them to an SD card. I also import waypoints from google earth so I have an idea where things are before hand.  Typically I use down imaging and side scan in a split screen and let genesis live do it's thing, after trolling and fishing for a while you'll have a pretty complete map of the lake.

Sep 30 2021

Glen Armstrong

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Charles McCallum

Glen,

I use the lowrance Elite FS7 w/ 3in1 transducer. I set the map to enable genesis live which will map the contours in the background and store them to an SD card. I also import waypoints from google earth so I have an idea where things are before hand.  Typically I use down imaging and side scan in a split screen and let genesis live do it's thing, after trolling and fishing for a while you'll have a pretty complete map of the lake.

Thanks for your help.